Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the Best Long Arm to Buy >

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 AM

Try this website www.longarmuniversity.com they have a listing of used longarms and I believe that you purchase directly from the lister.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention the Crown Jewel by Babylock, I saw it at a show last year and was very impressed with that model. Has anyone seen that entry?
This machine is made by Handiquilter. I saw them being made when I went to the factory.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM

You both need to try out all the machines at a quilt show. I think all the machines do the job, but for me Gammill was tops, and that's what I bought, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her! I think the vertical and horizontal channel locks are extremely important features to have--I use them all the time. One feature which is not important to have is the automatic thread cutter underneath--the reason is that it doesn't cut right next to the quilt back, and you have to go back and re-cut all the thread tails by hand anyway, plus, if you want to bury the threads they are cut really short, and hard to bury. It's best to bring the bobbin thread to the top of the quilt and just deal with the thread tails by hand.

I know there are many satisfied APQS owners out there, and I don't want to offend anyone, but my honest opinion to you is that I didn't like that the APQS machines I tried (all of them, at many quilt shows, as I waited years before buying anything) all hesitated to stop sewing when I stopped sewing. By that I mean the machines took several stitches after I intended for it to stop. So that was not a good machine for me--I didn't want to have to adjust to that. I figured there's enough of a learning curve to longarming without that, too. Just MHO, since you are wanting honest observations here.

Since you are planning on going computerized, you really need to look closely at how the computer moves the machine. I know someone who sold the Gammill she loved when she decided to go computerized, because she wanted to switch to an A-1 for computerized stitching. I can' remember the specifics, but there was something about the way the computer would move the machine that she preferred the A-1 for that. I have no intentions of ever going computerized, so I am thrilled with my Gammill, as is. The best thing you can do is to test drive as much as you can, and really try out all the features of every machine, so you'll know what is important to you and what isn't. Everyone has slightly different priorities, and it all makes the world go 'round. Have fun shopping! You'll both love it when you get going.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 PM

Default Not so happy, not much technical support

Only one person knows anything about machine. If he is not available you are out of luck.
[QU;1215079]Have you seen this? I think it's fantastic!

.....The Martelli LaCresta long arm quilting machine is built to never see the service technician once the machine is installed. This is one long arm quilting machine you have to see....

The Martelli website is under construction but here is a description of the LA.
http://www.caldwellsewvac.com/martelli-lacresta.php[/QUOTE]
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 AM

I suggest looking at mqresource.com It is a machine quilters forum and has lots of helpful information including a subforum on comparing machines.

I have an APQS and am very pleased with the machine and their customer service. I bought it used in 2009 (it is a 2003 machine) and I haven't had any problems.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:02 AM

Check out www.sunshine16.com. Nice machine, made in USA. Talked to the designer and builder and will most likely purchase this machine when I am ready for a long arm.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Looked at many machines at PIQF last week. I was impressed with Innova's panto features. It can enlarge and fit to the quilt by computer so the #rows and length fits. Then the operator stands on the needle side of the machine and looks straight ahead to the computer screen rather than down at the table to a lazor on paper. Appears the ergonomics would also be an improvement.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

There are many options. I would really encourage you to take your time, research and try all of them out. I did learn that I needed a 12 foot long table and about a 26 inch opening for what I wanted it to do, king sized quilts with 12 in. blocks on point. The throat opening from the machine determines how much space you have without rolling the quilt.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 10-21-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:26 PM

actually my pocket book was my determing factor I found a used one that I could afford tried it out and liked it that was in January I simply love it now