Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best tip you ever got? >

What is the best tip you ever got?

What is the best tip you ever got?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:36 AM

This reminded me of a tip I learned in my first quilting class. If you prick your finger while quilting and a little blood gets on your quilt and/or backing Your own saliva will take your own blood out and keep it from staining.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:13 AM

This is probably the best binding video I have seen and as a newby everything is a great help. I was using the glue to hold the last side w/o pins while finishing the quilt but not using glue for the first stitching of it ( and don't know if I ever would ), but to put the strips together and for the bias seam at the end it she sure does make it look simple. For anyone hunting for the tip she uses look in the area where the bottles of paint for tole painting, etc are located. I am a better painter than quilter and happpen to have one.
Originally Posted by szyquilt
This video for making a perfect binding has been a great help!

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Cla...The-Angel.aspx
Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by noahscats7
This is probably the best binding video I have seen and as a newby everything is a great help. I was using the glue to hold the last side w/o pins while finishing the quilt but not using glue for the first stitching of it ( and don't know if I ever would ), but to put the strips together and for the bias seam at the end it she sure does make it look simple. For anyone hunting for the tip she uses look in the area where the bottles of paint for tole painting, etc are located. I am a better painter than quilter and happpen to have one.

This is the best lesson I have ever seen for binding a quilt. In fact this gets 5 stars from me as a tutorial! Thanks for sharing. When I first read your message, I just didn't understand what the heck you were talking about when you mentioned "the tip." But as soon as I looked at the beginning of the tute, I thought "where would I get that tip for the glue bottle?" I went back and re-read your message and understood! I just have to get the glue and the tip, then I'll be all set to try this system of binding on the quilt I'm finishing up right now. Thanks again! :lol:
Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 PM

that is the best instructional video I have ever see. I didn't know you are to sew down the mitered corner on the front of the quilt. I have the glue will be going out to get the tip for the bottle. I've got this site bookmarked.
Thanks SZYQuilt for leading us to this site. Dar
Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7

Yes, I agree with you! Thank you for the information on where to purchase the tip she had on her glue bottle. I wondered at the time I was watching the video where she got it!

Old 10-08-2010, 06:30 PM

cute.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Originally Posted by earthwalker
Too hard to pick one! but the latest was really useful....winding your binding on a toilet roll tube...so simple and effective.
You can also use one of those swiming pool noodles. Cut a section 5"-6" to wrap your binding around. To make them pretty, you can wrap a piece of fabric around it and tuck it in the ends to hold it. You can stick a pin in it to hold the binding until you are ready to use it, very sturdy and cheap to make.
And then put it in a small bag and hang it from a knob by your sewing machine - or tape it to the table - keeps it off the floor and clean.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Originally Posted by earthwalker
Too hard to pick one! but the latest was really useful....winding your binding on a toilet roll tube...so simple and effective.
You can also use one of those swiming pool noodles. Cut a section 5"-6" to wrap your binding around. To make them pretty, you can wrap a piece of fabric around it and tuck it in the ends to hold it. You can stick a pin in it to hold the binding until you are ready to use it, very sturdy and cheap to make.
And then put it in a small bag and hang it from a knob by your sewing machine - or tape it to the table - keeps it off the floor and clean.
Great ideas gals!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

measure and cut accurately.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 PM

About controlling the binding while sewing it on. \
When I'm pressing my binding in half lengthwise, I fold it accordion style - about 6" wide.
I lay the accordion "pile" in front of my machine on the right side of the needle.
While sewing it on, it just naturally feeds out with no twisting, rolling on the floor or ravelling of the raw edge.

Other than that, my best tip ever was: "There are no quilting police." You can try anything, no one will shoot you.!