Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Are Big Box Fabrics Really Good For?

Blog Entries
    Sometimes a LQS is not an option. I have found some really nice fabrics at Walmart. But I have also found some not so nice fabric with hideous prices at Quilt Shops, not taking into account the cost to drive to those quilt shops. Some of us just cannot afford to be quilt shop snobs.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Over the years I have purchased hundreds of yards of fabric from JoAnns and made my husbands shirts with it. These shirts were worn daily and washed weekly and ironed. I wash all the fabric before using it. Most wore like iron and very few faded. For the most part, I have not regretted buying fabric from big box stores. I just look and feel the fabric before purchasing.

Lately I've been disappointed with some fabrics from my LQS. It appears the big brands and designers are now making less quality fabric. Sure it feels good in the store on the bolt but once it's home and washed it's thin and not as much body. Kaffee Fasset is a real disappointment, used to be my favorite, not anymore.

I don't even try to remember where I bought my fabric. After it's washed and ironed, It just goes into the closet to wait its turn to be used. I just shop my closet.

I agree! I just finished making my Ggranddaughter dresses from WM. They are cute, she loves them, and they weren't expensive to do. They will be washed more often than a quilt, so to me, it's a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I don't see what difference it make where fabric is bought or how it is used. I buy from anyplace that sells fabric at the price I want to pay and use it how I want to use it.
    I agree! It's not the source of the fabric, but the fabric itself, that makes a difference. I am convinced that you can get high quality fabric in many more places than just expensive LQS and online stores.
    If I like the fabric, it goes in my quilts. Most of my stash I have no idea at this point where it came from.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

As long as you can tell quality you can shop anywhere. Quality varies everywhere. Joanns just makes it convenient and you never have to pay full price with coupons. I got a whole Christmas quilt backing and all for like 60 bucks so can you find a LQS for that price no. I also do a lot of small projects with joanns. Most big projects come from LQS but I have found lovely fabrics at joanns and their premium legacy muslin can't be beat it is wonderful quality
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
    Lately I've been disappointed with some fabrics from my LQS. It appears the big brands and designers are now making less quality fabric. Sure it feels good in the store on the bolt but once it's home and washed it's thin and not as much body. Kaffee Fasset is a real disappointment, used to be my favorite, not anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I agree! It's not the source of the fabric, but the fabric itself, that makes a difference. I am convinced that you can get high quality fabric in many more places than just expensive LQS and online stores.
    If I like the fabric, it goes in my quilts. Most of my stash I have no idea at this point where it came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    As long as you can tell quality you can shop anywhere. Quality varies everywhere. Joanns just makes it convenient and you never have to pay full price with coupons. I got a whole Christmas quilt backing and all for like 60 bucks so can you find a LQS for that price no. I also do a lot of small projects with joanns. Most big projects come from LQS but I have found lovely fabrics at joanns and their premium legacy muslin can't be beat it is wonderful quality
    It's been the same with me. I bought a designer branded fabric from another source that wasn't a Big Box store. Once I brought it home & washed it as my habit, it is just as limp and cheesy as the reputed Big Box offerings.

I am now auditioning future fabric choices by running them through a simple test. Instead of buying a large amount of a given fabric, I make my selection of a given bolt. Then I ask for a sample (a small swatch) of that fabric. Or if swatches are not allowed, then I buy a 1/4 yard or so. I take that piece home & wash & dry it. If it's quality is up to my expectations, I go back & buy it. If not, I did not waste any money and time on hidden trash.

Although, if it's on sale or clearance, I judge it solely on it's hand qualities & take a chance!
    Last edited by Iona D.; 07-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.

I have found less than quality at quilt stores and great quality at Walmart and JoAnns. The key is to look at the quality and make your choices based on good quality. I do mix them all the time and have never found a problem. I love both purchases and use them all the time. Make your own choices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2