Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is Bottom Line thread for and what is it made from? Do you like it? >

What is Bottom Line thread for and what is it made from? Do you like it?

What is Bottom Line thread for and what is it made from? Do you like it?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 AM

Love it !! I use it in the bobbin for everything . I just bought a larger cone. Didn't know about it melting I haven't had any problems with it at all.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM

Bob Purcell of Superior Threads spoke at our LQS several times in the last 4 years. He is the one who convinced me to try Bottom Line and So Fine not only in the bobbin but as a TOP thread for piecing. I have used those two threads almost exclusively for the past 4 years. I teach the Learn to Quilt series at my LQS and get the newbies started on them because it helps them to sew that scant 1/4" seam allowance. No bulky thread! As far as the idea that it melts with an iron or cuts through other thread has not been my experience. I also love how long my bobbins last before running out of thread. Give it a try!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Default Superior Info

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Bottom Line can be sensitive to ironing and therefore could melt. Not recommended for piecing per Superiors website
Bottom Line is a 60 wt. lint-free filament polyester. Bottom Line is a very versatile thread which can be used in many applications.
•Available in 55 colors.
•Ideal for hand and machine appliqué, detail quilting, embroidery, stitch-in-the-ditch, bobbin thread, trapunto, binding, free standing lace, heirloom sewing, serger thread, and garment construction.
•Several colors blend into fabrics so well that they appear invisible.
•Wonderful thread choice for micro stippling.
•Available in cones and spools.
•SuperBOBs are The Bottom Line thread wound on cardboard-sided bobbins available in L-style (118 yds.) and M-style (215 yds.) prewound bobbins.
•BOB's are The Bottom Line thread wound onto plastic-sided bobbins and are ideal for hand appliqué.
•SuperBOBs Donut is a collection of 35 SuperBOBs set into a BobbinSaver
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM

I think so also.I think people like to make up stuff so it sounds like they are in the know.If it works,do it.I'm not always popular at the guild meetings.So many quilt police.I don't always share info either.I usually use "So-Fine"in my bobbin.Just my personal favorite.I use this for piecing also.The finer weight gives me more accuracy.It's complete nonsense that one thread "cuts"the other over time.Who decided that?If they were looking at an old quilt pieced with cotton thread,then maybe the cotton just deteroited.Well maybe.But no one knows.They are just guessing and presenting their thoughts as fact.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
Love it !! I use it in the bobbin for everything . I just bought a larger cone. Didn't know about it melting I haven't had any problems with it at all.
That's interesting. I've had poly melt before and it can ruin the quilt.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Where did you find that on the Website? I looked and couldn't find it. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Bottom Line can be sensitive to ironing and therefore could melt. Not recommended for piecing per Superiors website
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM

Just another yes vote! I personally love how long my bobbin lasts with this thread.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Where did you find that on the Website? I looked and couldn't find it. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by snipforfun
Bottom Line can be sensitive to ironing and therefore could melt. Not recommended for piecing per Superiors website.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/foru...c/bottom-line/

Bob from Superior Threads also gives this caution on his Thread Therapy DVD. I'm not sure they are correct about how hot an iron gets, though. My Rowenta on its hottest setting could not make a dent in 60wt polyester bobbin thread when I tested it for melting. I'm waiting on the spool of Bottom Line that I ordered to test it with my iron. I'm just not sure who irons enough for the thread to attain 510 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
Ditto. It's all I use in the bobbin. Because it's so fine, a bobbin lasts so much longer than other threads. I've used it with King Tut, with all kinds of metallics, and lots of variagated threads for FMQ, and I also use it for piecing. THe finer your thread is for piecing, the less bulk it adds to the seams.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:02 PM

I'm with you, gollytwo! It not only works perfectly well with other threads, it makes a flatter seam when pressed to one side because of it's lighter weight. I have washed it, ironed over it, and tested it's strength. Winners in all categories. I have also quilted for many years, and by process of elimination have changed my ideas many times. When something new comes out, try it, then make up your own mind about using it, whether it's thread, fabric, machines, etc! Bottom Line does work better in some of my machines, but not so well in my older ones. I love not having to wind a bobbin so often.