Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What brands of Long Arm machines would you recommend? >

What brands of Long Arm machines would you recommend?

What brands of Long Arm machines would you recommend?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM

I would buy a Nolting machine. My mom has one and it is wonderful. The factory is not very far away so the service she gets is great. Service is very important with a long arm machine. Nolting will set them up and you get lessons and help with any question you have.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Thank you, thank you for your input ladies. I'm buying a Tin Lizzie Ansley DLS, with a 12' frame, rear handle, extension table. It's a used machine only 1 year old. (does not include the Shirley Stitcher). The owner is buying a new one to replace this one.

She's going to spend a few hours showing me how to use it when I pick it up. I'm renting a truck to haul it home in one piece so we won't need to take it apart.

Is $6,300 a good price?

I'm not worried about service, with tech support, I can fix anything that might go wrong. I have a 15 needle embroidery machine that I've torn apart a couple times.

Last edited by Christine-; 03-10-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Each person is going to have their own preferences and budget. I had went to a quilting expo where they have almost all the different brands out there, set up to try. The ones I liked the best are the Innova and Gammil. The only reason we picked the Innova over the Gammil is because we don't have to oil it.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:22 PM

I too, am an owner of the Innova 22" and LOVE it but 'dunster' has good advice. I would add, try your favorites out many times. 24 hour service, happy with many threads, smooth, easy movement is what finally sold me on the Innova. I'd be happy to talk to you more about it. I just got it in Dec. :-) fun, fun.......
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have an Innova, love it, but there are lots of good machines out there and you will find people who recommend each of them. Most people only have experience on one or two. Comparison charts don't exist as far as I know, and even if they did they wouldn't be unbiased. The other thing to remember is that most longarms can be purchased with different options, and some of those options are important to some people and not to others, so configuring a longarm is a very individual experience. Here is a link to an excellent article about purchasing a longarm. (You have to go to the bottom of the page, put it in your shopping cart, but it is free.)

http://www.quiltsonthecorner.com/inc/sdetail/1349
Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 PM

I have about 7 months to shop around and research different machines. I have the frame it's The Stretch Machine Frame made by Hinterberg Design. So far I really like the Juki TL-2000Qi 9" Long-Arm Quilting Machine.

Any other suggestions within the 1k price range?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 AM

HQ 16 here, and LOVE IT!! ok, heres what you do, go to as many quilt shows as you can, try every one, keep a notebook with your likes and dislikes, if you like a thread cutter, put thread cutter in your like section, if you like an alarm, also jot that down, takes notes on every machine, have found @ shows, the prices are better too, BUT you want a dealer fairly close to where you live, in case something happens, and you need it serviced. TRY ALL- take notes, have fun!!
best of luck on your future purchase!!
katz
Old 03-22-2012, 03:25 PM

The folks at QNNtv.com wrote us that they are running a free weekend for everyone to watch all shows, just to see what QNNtv.com is all about. That way non-members can decide if you like the format of the tons of videos about longarm quilting they offer.

As there are three episodes featuring Art and Stitch I am happy to pass the link on so that you can all admire this (and more) for free this weekend:

www.QNNtv.com/FreeMarch
Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit View Post
I even went so far as checked my finances to see if I could afford one...and I could but now its a matter of parting with the money and JUSTIFYING the purchase!
I hear you on that part underlined.
There are a few machines I haven't located to test drive - an APQS Mille, the Nolting, and....? Need to do that.
I've tried HQs, Gammills, Innovas, a few times each. Babylock and Ansley 26 once.
Have to make a 'good' things - 'bad' things comparison for each machine. Need to do that next.
Think I'll lean towards the one with the most important 'good' things and/or least number of important 'bad' things. Need to do that next.

So far it seems like I like a MAJOR component on each machine (i.e. ease of computer on one, limited oiling on another, total price for machine and computer on this one, 24/7 help on that one). Too bad I can't get them ALL on ONE machine. THEY need to do that next!

Still totally confused. Anyone have extra lottery winnings laying around they want to share with me to make my decision easier?

Last edited by quiltinghere; 03-24-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:18 AM

We also have the Crown Jewel on a Pearl frame. We have been having some trouble with looping under the quilt and ugly stitch. I keep setting the tensions and some how after awhile it messes up again. I think it may be the cheap 30wt. thread we are using. Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 AM

I recently have had the pleasure of quilting on a friends A1 Longarm...what a pleasure. I love this machine and am going to buy one towards the end of the year. But she has offered to let me quilt on it as much as I want, that way I get the feel of the machine and will be ready to quilt as soon as I get mine. I have test drove gammills, tin lizzies, APQS, Innova and A1. Be sure to compare Apples to Apples and what you get "standard" for the money. It is a big purchase and needs to be "the perfect fit" for you. Good luck and HAPPY LONGARM QUILTING