Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What can I do with these fabrics??

I just made "Just can't cut it" It is great for large prints, ut is quick and easy!

I like those fabrics! Have you ever done a Scrappy Bargello? It's fast and fun to piece and beautiful!
    Karen in La.

Blog Entries
    I did a Amy Butler/Turning Twenty for my daughter and she loved it. It really showed off the fabric.

How about a D9P? That pattern works well with large prints.

Quote Originally Posted by gal288
    There are good patterns at quiltbug.com, there is also a book called Just can't cut it which is great for large prints.
    What a neat link. I wasn't familiar with it. Thanks

How about the stack and whack patterns or tube quilts? Colors could be beautiful in any of the kaleidoscope patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Maroni
    the free pattern on that site looks exciting for that fabric. I would love to do those colors. They are all me. Cannot wait to see what you create.
    I thought the same thing

I would add some solid colors with the prints, and do whatever design you choose...even 1 solid color, or several..it tones down the business of the florals.

If you go to her web site, there are free quilt patterns using her fabrics. Good Luck.

Here is a pic of a baby quilt I made with Amy Butler fabics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check out the Ginger Bliss quilt on Amy Butler's page-sure looks like it features the material you bought. Pretty quilt

Blog Entries
    I would think about one of those Twisters like Gran of 6,her picture.Use those colors you were telling us about.
    Connie in CO

My daughters, who are in their early 20s love that type of material. Maybe she would too!

To DoghouseMom---
    Thanks for the free pattern link from Amy Butler!
    I hope to one day make the Bloom Quilt using the yo-yos. Really neat! MarilynG

Blog Entries
    these would make a great obw or maybe the 10 minute block

I just made large roman shades out of 2 of these fabrics for my daughters college apartment. AB's fabrics are young and hip and this age group loves them. I am drawn to the colors also. Good choice.

I love those fabrics!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice Maroni
    the free pattern on that site looks exciting for that fabric. I would love to do those colors. They are all me. Cannot wait to see what you create.
    I also looked at these and there are some nice ones that a young girl would adore.

Blog Entries
    I agree with a Turning Twenty pattern, or the book Big Block Explosion, or maybe the Labyrinth pattern by Calico Cariage Quilt Designs (it has no diamonds, no "Y" seams).

Suzanne,
    I plan to use similar fabrics to make a large-block disappear- ing 9 patch. I will probably alighn the the completed blocks so I don't have to match seams, but I'm a beginner.
    Sally

Perhaps a water color quilt would be something to explore.

Maybe a dresden plate, or some other pattern where the pieces can be of similar value. Some kind of stars, or churn dash. Maybe adding some more solid fabrics to let those show. I love the fabric, but am not able to put together contempory or art quilts yet, but that type of quilt might be great. Diane in VT

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
    My daughters best friend is graduating from high school in June and my daughter wants me to make her a quilt as a gift (so she can bring it to college with her). I bought these Amy Butler fabrics yesterday for this project:

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/produ..._quilt_top.php

PLEASE NOTE that these are not fabrics I would ever even consider buying for myself. I did a quick search online for ideas and am uninspired. Do any of you have pictures to share or links for me to go to for good quilt ideas?

Thanks so much for your assistance. I am a lover of traditional quilt patterns and Jo Morton and Kansas Troubles kinds of fabrics, so this is an entirely new and scary area for me.

Suzanne in VT

Not my cup of tea either but disappearing 4-patch or the 10 minute block from Suzanne McNeill comes to mind. I have done both and they are both easy quilts.

10 minute quilt pattern would make a beautiful quilt. I am going to use it for 2 quilts I have to do for my son's best friends for graduation presents.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
    My daughters best friend is graduating from high school in June and my daughter wants me to make her a quilt as a gift (so she can bring it to college with her). I bought these Amy Butler fabrics yesterday for this project:

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/produ..._quilt_top.php

PLEASE NOTE that these are not fabrics I would ever even consider buying for myself. I did a quick search online for ideas and am uninspired. Do any of you have pictures to share or links for me to go to for good quilt ideas?

Thanks so much for your assistance. I am a lover of traditional quilt patterns and Jo Morton and Kansas Troubles kinds of fabrics, so this is an entirely new and scary area for me.

Suzanne in VT
    If you look on the site at the free patterns, how about Amy's Mid Mod quilt? I like them all, but I think that one would be great. With large prints like that you don't want to be using tiny squares.
    I love these fabrics. I'm all for a splashy statement. Don't have clue what to do with the fabric, but if you keep seaching, something will pop out at you.
    Rita

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast