Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What can I do with these fabrics??

Blog Entries
    Some are perfect for 1 block wonders

What about turning 20, that uses lager pieces of fabric

What about just white fabrick with rectangles throughout. That way it is all about each of the fabrics and simple for you. ;)

My grand-daughters would love this fabric. Thanks for showing it. I'm going to get some and make either the Ginger Bliss or the Lotus Brick Path Quilt shown in the free pattern section for next Christmas.

Here is a picture of a quilt I made using these types of fabrics. The pattern is called Bamboo and Pinwheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would combine like colors and make a grandmothers fan quilt.

looked at Capi 1, 2 3.

Beautiful and combined with a stark white would be stunning and very, very beautiful. I have lots of fabric, maybe I'll start one myself. Make either 10 or 12 inch blocks. Smaller would take forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
    My daughters best friend is graduating from high school in June and my daughter wants me to make her a quilt as a gift (so she can bring it to college with her). I bought these Amy Butler fabrics yesterday for this project:

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/produ..._quilt_top.php

PLEASE NOTE that these are not fabrics I would ever even consider buying for myself. I did a quick search online for ideas and am uninspired. Do any of you have pictures to share or links for me to go to for good quilt ideas?

Thanks so much for your assistance. I am a lover of traditional quilt patterns and Jo Morton and Kansas Troubles kinds of fabrics, so this is an entirely new and scary area for me.

Suzanne in VT

Blog Entries
    That quilt is very pretty, but think something focused on a particular block would be better, then each color of the fabric would show up more. I do like your idea, just like mine better. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingsavta
    Here is a picture of a quilt I made using these types of fabrics. The pattern is called Bamboo and Pinwheels.

I found this today and thought of your request.

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...ndly_ss12.html

good luck

Yes, as others have said, choose a pattern with large rectangles and/or squares, to show off all that pattern in those fabrics.

Blog Entries
    You might like this.
    I used a layer cake (10" x 10" precuts).

I cut half the pieces in half (5" x 10") and the others into 4 strips (2 1/2" by 10"). Sew a 2 1/2" strip to each side of a 5" x 10" piece.
    I alternated the finished blocks.

This is still unfinished. I'm planning to put a border on, but I think it could be nice without.

You could use a layer cake and a jelly roll also. That would make a large quilt.

Unfinished Moda Layer Cake
    Name:  Attachment-123186.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  50.3 KB

I LOVE those prints! as far as a pattern,.... I'd let the fabrics do all the work. something simple like a rail fence, or different size rectangles & squares with a white sahing... check out these websites ,,, they use alot of contemporary fabrics
    1. Oh Fransson!
    2. Hyena in petticoats
    Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I haven't tried this pattern yet, but am planning on using some of my lg prints for it, along with color coordinating blocks in smaller prints - it's called dissappearing 9 patch, found lots of examples on youtube, and it lools fun and fast! Apparently the best way to put it together is to use the best fabrics in the 4 corners, as they will not be cut smaller, as the other fabrics will.
    Hope this works for you if you decide to try it - I'm excited to test it out for a baby quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by deema
    I think I'd do something with big blocks...turning twenty, maybe? Or teach your daughter how and let her do it! lol
    I vote for teaching DD to sew -- at least she can help you cut and piece!
    The Kaffe Fassett idea is great too -- I did one a couple of years ago that was really easy, called his "Rosie" quilt. It is alternating 9" (finished) squares with same sized 9-patch blocks and a pieced border. See second pic at
    http://www.lrcchome.com/programs/applefest.php.

I know these fabrics are quite popular right now, but i have not a clue how to use them, not my thing, sorry

My granddaughters would love those fabrics. I'm planning on making a big print of red, white, and black with a small square of yellow for our graduating GD. These big prints are a little outside of my comfort zone but will give it a try using "Yellow Brick Road" pattern.

I used a similar fabric for a quilt and curtains for my sewing room. I put a large square of the biggest print in the center and put a contrasting Sashing around the square and worked from there with two other medium sized prints. The key was to not use small pieces. It turned out great and I love it more than most of the quilts I have made with a bagillion little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by puck116
    You might like this.
    I used a layer cake (10" x 10" precuts).

I cut half the pieces in half (5" x 10") and the others into 4 strips (2 1/2" by 10"). Sew a 2 1/2" strip to each side of a 5" x 10" piece.
    I alternated the finished blocks.

This is still unfinished. I'm planning to put a border on, but I think it could be nice without.

You could use a layer cake and a jelly roll also. That would make a large quilt.
    What a beautiful quilt. And a great idea to use up big bold fabrics.

I really like this fabric. I think a "snowball" quilt would feature each fabric accompanied with plain white. It would be a modern, contemporary quilt.

If you like to make more traditional quilts you might try using these fabrics in a log cabin quilt and use coordinating solid(s) for the center block and contrasting side.

I really like the fabrics. How about a turning twenty pattern. I've seen quilt a few large prints in this quilt pattern at alot of LQS. It goes together fairly easy & fast.

You could do a large square D9P making the starting squares in your 9P at 5-6" so you are cutting a 15-18" square and will have good sized pieces still after cutting the 9P. It would still showcase your fabrics and would really go fast in making the top!! You would only need 3 or 4 across and 4 or 5 down.

Banned
    heaven help you , adore bright fabrics but too garish for me.

Here is a quilt that I am working on for a high school senior. It is a signature quilt that her friends can sign.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-103383-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by moms_pantry
    Here is a quilt that I am working on for a high school senior. It is a signature quilt that her friends can sign.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-103383-1.htm
    that's an awesome quilt!!

that's an awesome quilt!![/quote]

Thank you

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast