Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What can I do with these fabrics??

I think it would work well for a Turning Twenty quilt. Have fun splashing outside your color zone...you might come up with a new passion.

I love these fabrics-use one of AB's patterns. They make fabulous purses too!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    This will be so pretty and girly. Don't forget the matching pillowcases, one to wear and one to wash.:)
    Add a pair of pajama bottoms too!

Aren't you lovely. Whatever the fabrics you choose, it will be wonderful. Happy sewing.

i would add some white and make 4 patches
    louise in arkansas

Have you considered a garden twist type of pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by deema
    I think I'd do something with big blocks...turning twenty, maybe? Or teach your daughter how and let her do it! lol
    I think that pattern would work great with those fabrics. :) They are beautiful.

OOOO! Those look like fun. What about a one-block wonder? That would create a lot of different looks from the print.

I notice that she has a number of free quilt patterns on that same site that you posted. Perhaps you could use one of those?

I notice that she has a number of free quilt patterns on that same site that you posted. Perhaps you could use one of those?There is one that is a big block pattern.

I am not fond of this latest trend either-Moda is similar, and not to my taste. However, these challenges get us out of our comfort zone and we can come up with some creative stuff when that happens.

RST
    Blog Entries
    Amy Butler fabrics and colors tend to look really nice with a fair amount of white or gray to give the eye a place to rest. I've seen lovely, very simple quilts made with these fabrics-- stacked coins with a pure white sashing. Nickels and dimes, with a subtle gray on gray for the columns.

RST

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
    php

I am a lover of traditional quilt patterns and Jo Morton and Kansas Troubles kinds of fabrics, so this is an entirely new and scary area for me.

Suzanne in VT
    I love both traditional and modern fabrics/quilts.
    In my opinion modern fabrics are not suitable to all traditional blocks. KFasset quilts for instance are in general repetition of a simple block using lots of different colors and prints. Besides flickr "modern quilts" suggested before, there are Elizabeth Hartman and Amanda Jean blogspots with lots of ideas and you can also visit some of the blogs they list.

These are great fabrics for a college girl. They would be awesome for a stack and whack kalidescope quilt they are amazing how they turn out, with a plain sashing and use one of the stripe fabrics for a wide border.
    Robert

I made this pattern from a bunch of FQs with many of the same colors. It's easy - 16 patch blocks in a square and 46/40 or fight blocks. Made up really, really quickly. I used a WOW for the background fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the fabric! Check out the BQ series from Maple Island. Great for big prints! Maybe even get one of her college logo t-shirts for one of the blocks if it remotely matches

I have made two of these Memories quilts, I think the fabrics would work well with this pattern. The pattern originally used 10" Charm Squares.

http://ballaratpatchwork.com.au/scra...loads/memories

Not done a link before so it may not work, if it doesn't google Memories Quilts.

I go to the library and check out a big stack of quilt books and usually end up with way too many future things to do

Blog Entries
    Unless this is a surprise, I'd give the young lady the option of choosing. Show her three options and let her choose. Is she interested in the lovely combination of colors? The strip quilt or brick road would be fine. The large prints? Turning 20 of some of the other ideas. Is there a print she favors over the others? Leave it big as a focus, and whittle the others into sashing or smaller blocks. I feel your pain. I often can't get into quilting a project when I don't love the fabric. On the other-hand, when the project is for a special person, that can overshadow the dislike for their color choice.

Those are not my normal colors/prints either. I agree with others who say to add some solids. Maybe cream and/or black?

Check out these amazing free quilt patterns for the big, modern prints:

http://www.artgalleryfabrics.com/projects/index.shtml

Blog Entries
    http://www.swirlygirlsdesign.com their pattern called Patchwork PDQ is great for fabrics with that kind of fabrics and it is quick and easy.

Blog Entries
    Suzanne, go to this site quiltingwithroxanne.com and look at her pattern Magic Carpet. I was checking that site last night and this pattern is for large prints you don't want to cut up very much. If you can't get there from what I gave you, type in Stars on parade quilt pattern and go to page 4 of her site. Anxious to see what you come up with. Good luck.

how about blocks with some mild sashing (somewhere to rest the eyes).....i think it might be to busy for anything else....gina

Blog Entries
    I had a collection of fabrics from a large-print line & was stumped. I ran across a pattern called "Pieces o' Eight" (squares cut into 8 1/2" and pieced together. Really fast and allowed the prints to pop out, instead of competing with the cut pieces of the pattern. It came out great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    These fabrics are great, though not what I'd buy from myself either.

They remind me of Kaffe Fassett fabrics, so maybe find a pattern designed for his fabrics.

Good luck and have fun.
    Or check some of the patterns featured in Mark Lupinski's quilts, he has a penchant for large prints also at times.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast