Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included) >

What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 AM

I had that happen with a new Janome (not Horizon) and it turned out to be a flaw in the bobbin case - not anything I was doing. After 5 repairs a new machine solved the problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 AM

have you taken the machine and the quilt back to the dealer? He or she may be able to help you much better than us looking at a picture.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 AM

Looking at the picture, I noticed some of the needle holes looked larger than the others. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the needle. I used to teach quilting and one tip I always gave my students was this: When sewing with cotton, always, always, always use a sharp point needle. The newest rage at the time and still is are the Universal Point needles, but I always use Sharp Point needles when working with cotton. You might try that and see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 AM

I'll be watching right along with you. I'm just getting into quilting and read all I can on the subject to hopefully save me alot of anquish along the way even though I know I'll still suffer some.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 AM

The bobbin thread needs to be up to the top side and hold while taking a couple of stitches, it could be the top tension needs adjustment.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:07 AM

I was told by the Viking dealer that Aurofil was the best thread to use in the mega quilter. I'm sure if you contacted them or your dealer they could give you some suggestions. I use the little bobbin winder now to wind most of my threads and it works great.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:11 AM

You might have a burr in your machine. Check to see if there is a nick on any machine part that the thread might occasionally catch on. You sometimes hafta do this by feel, and without your eyes. You can feel burrs better than you can detect them with your eyes. If you find one you'll need to smooth it out. Crocus (not sure of the spelling) cloth, which is a type of sandpaper works well.
Good Luck
Mikki
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 AM

Love the quilting. The birds nest ??? I have just re-discovered
that I need to be careful and always have the same weight and
type of thread in the bobbin and top of my machine. I was having trouble with the bottom stitches not suiting me. I had
just had my machine service too. I FIXED IT. HURRAH !!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by edensgaite
You might have a burr in your machine. Check to see if there is a nick on any machine part that the thread might occasionally catch on. You sometimes hafta do this by feel, and without your eyes. You can feel burrs better than you can detect them with your eyes. If you find one you'll need to smooth it out. Crocus (not sure of the spelling) cloth, which is a type of sandpaper works well.
Good Luck
Mikki
I agree with Mikki. You could have a burr on your needle, your needle plate, your bobbin case, bobbin or hook. Any one of these could cause the top thread to become caught below during stitching and create your problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Originally Posted by tutt
I'm feeling your pain. I bought a 820 and mine is skipping stitches and eyelashing, but hoping I've resolved the eyelashing issue. I did a search on some Bernina groups and skipping stitches seems to be fairly common. I'll be watching to see what responses you get.
I'm sorry you're having trouble with your 820 too. Like you I've read quite a bit online and seems these are common problems. Very disappointing for a machine with a price tag like these ones have. Doesn't seem anyone gets much help from their dealer either. Almost like they're trying to pretend the problems don't exist. I really, really regret purchasing this machine and wish I'd have gone with the Janome Horizon, for less than HALF the cost. :(
If you are not getting the response that you want from your local dealer then I would go to the Bernina company and e-mail them and tell them exactly what your machine is doing.
And if you are happy with this machine then please keep using it and try to get it fixed, don't regret this machine. For the majority Bernina is a great machine. I have one of the 1230 and absolutly love this machine. It is a work horse and I havn't had a bit of problem with her at all.
Again I would e-mail the company and see what they have to say about it. Maybe someone else is also having this same issue and they will suggest what you need to do. It surely can't hurt at all.
Hope this helps and that your baby gets to working well again really soon.
Jennifer