Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Causes Lint? >

What Causes Lint?

What Causes Lint?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Instead of relying on internet articles, I think it is easier (and more accurate) to actually test polyester thread to see if it is going to stick or melt. Nylon monofilament is supposed to melt and distort at lower temps than polyester. My Rowenta gets very hot on the cotton setting so I fired her up and ironed over my threads to see if they would melt. None of them did, including the nylon monofilament I tested.

For piecing, I noticed that my seams did not lie as flat when I used polyester thread (even when I used it only in the bobbin), so I went back to Aurifil cotton in top and bottom. It could simply be the way I have the tension adjusted on my machine, but I don't want to fiddle with it.

I use Glide (polyester thread) almost exclusively in my midarm and notice a *lot* less lint over all-cotton threads.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 AM

My sewing machine guy says that the thread manufacturing companies used to "comb" the threads and they no longer do that, so I think that's at least part of the problem.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:40 AM

I've done similar tests with my nylon monofilament threads on practice pieces and have not noticed any issues. On the other hand - one of our scout moms was sewing rank badges on with fishing line so that she didn't have to try to match the colors... and every time she ironed her son's shirt, the patches fell off because she was melting the threads.

When I learned to use a sewing machine several decades ago, I was never told to clean the feed dogs or the bobbin. I'm pretty sure that machine is packed with lint and probably felted under the feed dogs (will try to take a peek when I next visit mom's house). So it was not that lint didn't happen - it was that I didn't know to look for it.

I think it was in a machine care class that the teacher told a story about a client picking up their newly cleaned machine and calling the store to complain that the felt pad for the feed dogs was missing. The technician gently recommended that she try sewing without the pad and see how she liked it...

Cheers, K
Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

There is a lot friction between machine, thread, and material which cause breakdown of the fibers (especially natural). That breakdown is called lint. Doesn't always matter the manufacturer.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 AM

I got a real wake up call when I started to prewash my fabric. I know that flannel has a lot of lint, but when I started to wash cottons I got a truckload of lint in the dryer AND in the filter in the washer. Since I use mostly LQS fabrics I was shocked since I don't remember that happening before.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Ah, this is so interesting. For some reason I kind of thought that I was somehow the only one with this problem, so I almost didn't post the question. I wonder if there is anything that can be done-- I'm definitely going to prewash when I can and see if that helps. I was also considering prewashing batting lately, just to combat different shrink percentages.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 PM

all cotton threads create quite a bit of lint even the expensive ones. Superior I found to create the least amount of lint out of all abrand, however haven't tried presencia just yet. Poly creates way less lint, and the poly of today does not cut cotton fabric. Many today use it to piece so the poly that they are talking about is from long ago. I din't know why it would melt I have safely ironed poly threads for quite some time on clothes, scrubs I have made, even ironed monopoly from superior quite frequently in my scrubs. you would have to be scorching it for it to melt, it is simply not that easy otherwise it wouldn't be the main thread used in clothes making.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 AM

I always pre wash my fabric. Even jellyrolls and have less lint. I also like Superior Threads Masterpiece thread for piecing. I always clean out the lint and oil my bobbin area (as directed by Bernina owners manual, or in all my vintage machines and APQS Millenium longarm) EVERY bobbin change. I want these machines to last for the rest of my life, I'm 65. Good maintenance will extend the life of your machine and/or make it more valuable on a trade in.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM

I too have begun to use poly and/or rayon almost exclusively. Superior Threads has a lot to say in their many videos about whether or not it has an effect on the cotton fabrics, i.e., "cutting" into the fabric. I have never experienced it and started using it more frequently many years ago.

Here is one thing I also do without fail. Invariably, I will find a bit of lint in unexpected places, so I have taken to keeping a number of pipe cleaners at hand. The large craft kind work best. They will bend and curve around to those nooks and crannies and the little bits of lint just cling to them. They are not so stiff as to cause harm to any moving parts, but they are like little dust magnets. And as the ends become soiled, I just trim off an inch or so with my paper scissors. Since using them (every time I change a bobbin), I have not had a lint build-up problem.

Give it a try. I think you'll be amazed at the little bits lurking below sight line.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:47 AM

A bit off topic...what to do with your lint (especially the large sheets of it that come out of the dryer filter)? Use as fire starters in your wood stove! Works great.

I, too, have noticed more lint in my DSM lately. I changed brands of thread from Coats to Superior, so I thought that might be the difference. Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.