Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Causes Lint? >

What Causes Lint?

What Causes Lint?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM

Default What Causes Lint?

Wow. I've never seen so much lint in my life! Before I had to stop sewing 10 years ago, I do not remember this much at all. Not just in my Janome, but also my Baby Lock. I've been working on a quilt for my MIL (first one on the frame set up) and cleaning out the Janome every time I change a bobbin. Can't believe how much is coming out.

I noticed this in my practice sandwiches as well, so I switched from Metrosene thread to Aurifil, and I had been using Hobbs batting, but found Pellon batting (made in USA!) that was less fuzzy. That has helped a bit, but I still can't believe how much there is. So it begs the question, what the heck is causing it all? I'm able to clean out the bobbin area, but am a little concerned about the tension, since I can't get in there. Every time I thread my machine gobs of it come out! YUCK!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 PM

Forgot to say, the fabrics are Moda, from my stash.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 AM
Gay

I agree - have also noticed I clean my machine more often than I used to. A lot seems to be caused from sewing with cotton threads, and it's not only the cheaper ones either. Some of the so-called better brands, and even those threads of polyester covered with cotton, are also causing lint. This is why I have started using poly or rayon more. Wish I could look into the bottom of my machines to see how much is stored in those dim dark corners.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Power Poster

the only caution i have about polyester is that we generally iron with a hot cotton setting, and that can melt or scorch poly.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

There must be more dust bunnies reproducing more often with global warming??
Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 AM
Banned

Friction causes lint. As long as fabrics rub on anything, there will be lint. Fabrics with a softer feel cause more lint than firmer fabrics. Like towels in the dryer create more lint than jeans.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

The more thread guides the less lent build up. That is why the older machines have many metal thread guides. Not to guide the thread every couple of inches. My Singer 301 has six thread guides not counting the tension. I rarely have lint build up in the Singer but my newer machines I have to clean every bobbin change.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

I got curious about temperatures and polyester thread melting, so I used my friend "google" and if we can trust the information, here are two links. One says polyester thread sticks at 440 degrees and melts at 483 degrees. The second link says an iron gets up to 400 for cotton and the polyester setting gets it up to 300 degrees. Seems like with a little care, it would be possible to use polyester thread and it not get sticky or melt.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...ad-information

http://laundry.about.com/od/ironing/a/irontemp.htm

Of course, this doesn't address the issue some of us have of using polyester on cotton that will it eventually break down the cotton, and personal preference trumps all.

I don't ever remember being told to clean out the bobbin when I learned to sew all those years ago, in 6th grade on a treadle. I do remember bringing my machine in every year to be "serviced" even when nothing seemed wrong with it. Probably to clean out the lint I never worried about.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 AM

I have noticed this too, I've been assuming it has something to do with the horizontal drop-in style bobbin letting it sort of store up in there, vs. the old vertical front-loading bobbin style where the lint drops out on its own easier. I do remember occasionally finding lint falling out of my old machine when I'd open that little door to change a bobbin. But I really don't know! I've always sewn with cotton so that's no different.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I piece with a thin poly thread, and I use poly most of the time in the longarm. Since I've been using poly I have noticed that I have a *lot* less lint.