Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Color Would You Use? >

What Color Would You Use?

What Color Would You Use?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 PM

I have had such a fun time visualizing quilts in all the color combinations suggested.

I had always heard that babies can only see black and white and I LOVE black and white quilts however I thought it would be nice to make a quilt that would be more stimulating as the babies grow.

Willferg - I love your design and I have always loved orange and navy together, it would be a great color combination.

Sallyjane - I will bow to your superior experience. I still like the idea of a floral log cabin however it makes me nervous to assume that one of the babies will be a girl. No matter how cute it might be to dress twins alike, the mom isn’t a dress them alike type person. These will be fraternal twins and as a teacher I appreciate it when parents allow twins to develop their individuality.

At the risk of short circuiting the creativity that is flowing here I have to say that the decision has been made. The Reds have it. The mom has a den that is painted in Chinese Red. She will be converting it to a nursery and is going to leave it red. I think that Red and White will be the combination of the day. I may add a touch of black or blue if I can match the blue color that is accenting in the room now. This discussion has been such fun, thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions and I will keep you posted.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

I would make a yellow quilt to go with the green, that's always acceptable and non-gender. OR you could make black and white quilts, one with red as a pop color and the other one bright yellow with the black and white. This is only a suggestion. We were just blessed with a new great-nephew, had a jungle quilt made,then talked to grandma tonight and she said they did the baby's room in farm animals. Oh well, back to my stash to see what I have.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
You can do any child friendly quilt and it will be okay - they don't have to be gender specific. I used to crochet using the primary colors because little ones really like the bright colors.
I like the idea of the primary colors. Perhaps using PC in both quilts, but different designs or different predominant color in each one.

Make it simple and playful. Adding the black and white to the primary colors would be great for a first quilt. There will be time for the more sophisticated patterns.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:11 PM

I like the idea of two green quilts using different shades of grean. :)
Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 PM

I'm so excited about this project I got right to work planning. I used Excel to draft out the plan so the colors are not what I will be using. The light side I used different patterns to differentiate the strips. They will be different whites with red patterns.

What do we think?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250266.jpe  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:43 AM

Yellow and green are both good neutral baby colors, as are yellow and lavender. I don't know that green and lavender would go together as well.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:17 AM

I would go with peach, as green and peach look so great together.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:24 AM

I made the following quilts for boy-girl twins without going the pink and blue route. The pattern is the same; the colors slightly different.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250294.jpe   attachment-250295.jpe  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 AM

What you can't tell easily from the above photos is that the "theme" fabric -- the border sashing -- is different in each quilt; in the girl's quilt, it has more red; in the boy's quilt, is has more blue.

Oh, and I used more reds in the girl's quilt, and more blues in the boy's. But as you can see, no pastels. All primary/bright colors.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 AM

turquoise is always good for a boy or girl. Also red or black and white.