Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Colors Are You Looking For in 2012? >

What Colors Are You Looking For in 2012?

What Colors Are You Looking For in 2012?

Old 12-23-2011, 11:57 AM

I'm anxiously awaiting the newest release of Primitive Gatherings Little Gatherings. I have some of what is out now but from what I understand there will be new fabrics coming in April 2012 that will have burgandy, dark purple, and rust (I think). I have trouble finding deep fall type of colors.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 PM

I love asian/oriental fabric.

sue in OH
Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 PM

well, i buy anything, but two of the colors i search for first are brown and yellows. the yellows have become more available but they do seem to be so 'specific'... a yellow that is not quite right is just not usable, unlike blues, greens, reds, etc...or maybe there are less to choose from...anyway, when i find the clear, lemony, daisy, yellows in different shades, i definitely add them to my cutting pile..... and the browns.... deep rich, chocolatey, coffee, and mahogany.... really hard to find... i usually have to resort to the online shops as they are so hard to find in my LQS (all three shops available to me [within an hour's drive]) had a total of 5 bolts of browns that were darker than 'cocoa'... and this was about 6 wks ago...right in the middle of the autumn ... i consider deep brown on a par with navy when it comes to combining with ice blues, mints, pinks, peach, yellows, all beiges...it is wonderful as the 'dark dark' with any pastel and softer than many...it gives the contrast needed but doesn't look 'harsh' with them... and as a standard with red, rust, or oranges and golds and greens.... you can't beat it with any earth tone...

PS....are you going to be online?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:20 PM

I've been following this thread with interest as I have a small shop in addition to my longarm business, and it's always a guessing game as to what will sell well. When I read the original question, my thought was - she's going to get as many different answers as there are people responding to the question . And with the exception of the trend of people looking for white/cream/neutrals, I think I was right. My experience is that what sells the best is the line that you make samples from. I can take a piece or line that isn't selling, make a sample with it, and it will usually fly out the door.

Good luck with your new venture!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Jenni: There is a Quilted Crow in the Southern Tier of NYS which is my favorite LQS. Tiny cabin with fabric I just love. Just for chuckles, google it. I just love anything from Red Rooster. Love the Kansas Troubles line from Moda too. Seems like LQS's in general, aren't carrying enough of the creams, beiges for backgrounds and blending. Best wishes for your store and if I'm ever in the neighborhood, I will stop.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 PM

I don't buy a lot of fabric these days, but when I am shopping am looking for good darker, rich colors such as hunter green, deep navy blue, burgandy, brown, pumpkin, etc. Also like the repros. I am not a white on white or cream user, usually like the tan backgrounds. The only brights I use are for kids quilts.
You will never be able to please everyone, so buy in groupings of what you like...nice to have to go withs.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
It's very hard to find a good selection of white on white or cream on cream.
I would like a collection of these, similar to the Tonga Meringue batiks by TT but not batik.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:39 PM

I will be looking for more border prints. Especially border prints with metallic gold or silver.

I will also be looking for prints (not necessarily border) with metallic gold or silver - but NOT Asian or Christmas prints. Preferably prints with jewel tones.

I'm like a magpie ... if it sparkles I want it!!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:45 PM

I would like to see prints with more space between. Either white or cream or lt beige.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:00 PM

My favorite are browns, rusts, greens and my favorite line is Kaufman Fushions. They have new colors coming out and they are gorgeous.