Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Colors Are You Looking For in 2012? >

What Colors Are You Looking For in 2012?

What Colors Are You Looking For in 2012?

Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 PM

I set out to try and find some grey fabrics recently. Not alot of that out there. Great idea here to ask everyone. I'm liking the responses. I'll visit ya on Facebook.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Yellow

By itself or even with other colors, like blue, and purples. It seems all the yellows I find are just not quite right, and honestly there never seems to be a good selection of "yellow". Its not a true yellow I guess is what I am saying.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
I agree, I recently went to 4 shops looking for the right whitish cream, none of them really had it. Oh and any time I see that nice soft yellow I buys yards and yards of it.
If you have one, leave a sample piece of fabric of the color you want and ask your shop owner to keep an eye out for a match when she/he works with their sales reps.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:46 AM

I'd like to see softer pinks.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by dglvr View Post
I set out to try and find some grey fabrics recently. Not alot of that out there. Great idea here to ask everyone. I'm liking the responses. I'll visit ya on Facebook.
There are a lot of greys in the wholesale market place. It depends on the store if they purchase greys. (I'm a fabric rep btw)
sandy
Old 12-24-2011, 05:34 AM

The trend towards modern fabrics (all reminding me of the 70's mod colors and designs :0) do not appeal to me personally. What I find very hard to find in good quality fabric is realistic floral designs, not calico...but say a soft roses in pastels...When I do a search in online fabric shops, it seems they are the most limited and indeed the most expensive. Designers like Rachel Ashwell ~ Laura Ashley who do realistic shabby chic roses just make me swoon :0)

We have a wonderful quilt department in our little town....they carry lines such as Moda, Benartex etc....When I talked to the manager about my dismay that they seemed to be buying mostly the modern lines....she said, "The owner of the store wants to appeal to the 'younger' quilters who want the modern fabrics." I suddenly felt really 'old' <giggles> The manager ordered in a couple of lines of fabrics that leaned towards the floral and guess what? The florals in the line sold out within a short time, with only the companion fabrics left to choose from.

As with all things quilty there IMHO is room for 'tastes' on both sides of the fence.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
I've been following this thread with interest as I have a small shop in addition to my longarm business, and it's always a guessing game as to what will sell well. When I read the original question, my thought was - she's going to get as many different answers as there are people responding to the question . And with the exception of the trend of people looking for white/cream/neutrals, I think I was right. My experience is that what sells the best is the line that you make samples from. I can take a piece or line that isn't selling, make a sample with it, and it will usually fly out the door.

Good luck with your new venture!
"My experience is that what sells the best is the line that you make samples from. I can take a piece or line that isn't selling, make a sample with it, and it will usually fly out the door."

Andi....What a brilliant statement and strategy!!!!! That is exactly right for me...as a consumer and a visual learner/type person. Showing me an example of what can be done with a line of fabric 'clicks' this old/older brain of mine into action!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I will be looking for more border prints. Especially border prints with metallic gold or silver.

I will also be looking for prints (not necessarily border) with metallic gold or silver - but NOT Asian or Christmas prints. Preferably prints with jewel tones.

I'm like a magpie ... if it sparkles I want it!!
I'm a 'magpie' too!!!! Love, love, love sparkles!!!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:50 AM

I will be looking for Cheddar, browns, some burnt or Indian reds, ...
Old 12-24-2011, 06:15 AM

I agree that whites are very hard to find and when I do, they are sometimes pretty flimsy. I also am looking for civil war prints as well and a backing for my Ohio Star. I was told that 'real' quilters don't use white for backing!