Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is considered quality fabric? >

What is considered quality fabric?

What is considered quality fabric?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM

I seldom buy fabric from the LQSs because they are never open when I can shop. I work 8-5, have a 30 minute commute, and most of the stores close by 5:30 p.m. And Saturdays are cleaning and errand days, and are completely filled. I purchase fabric at my local Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's, because they stay open later in the evenings, but I have to feel the fabric. If it is stiff, rough or thin feeling, I won't purchase it. I prefer the Hobby Lobby fabrics to those at JoAnn's, and I can get Kona Cotton for $6 a yard.

I shop on line at several of the stores that Feline Fanatic listed -- Thousands of Bolts, Fabric.com, Old Country Store. I also shop at Missouri Star Quilt Company, Cotton Club, Sew Batik, and Batiks Plus.

Also, check out Craftsy. They not only have on-line classes, they have a store where you can purchase patterns and fabric, all of it name quality. If you purchase a pattern, check the store, as they may have a kit in several different colorways.

Finally, sign up to do the next fabshophop. You will visit lots of online stores.

I see you're in Houston. I live about 35 miles north of Houston, but work downtown. What area are you in?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM

I found a lovely quilt shop in Seattle who also sell through etsy.com/shop/under cover quilts. The material I bought was top quality.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I buy locally for my fabric. Fabric I've purchased online I've had to return because of worn lines through the fabric and being able to see my wrinkled hands through the fabric. Some fabrics are ok from Hobby Lobby and some not so good. That is why I like to play touchy feely with the fabric I purchase. I always buy extra atleast qtr yd to allow for shrinkage. I always pre wash each fabric. Goes into the washer before the sewing room.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:12 PM

I live inside the loop and work a few blocks from the Galleria. What is a fabshophop?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Wow. Thank you all for the overwhelming response! I will definitely visit a few local shops to become better acquainted with fabrics in general and also brands. Meanwhile, I will start browsing the recommended online shops for sales. I'm a sucker for a good deal!

I really appreciate the tips on what not to look for (stiffness, transparency, etc.).

I've already started reading lots of views (on both sides) about whether to pre-wash or not, and the same for starching. So much to learn and figure out, it can be overwhelming. My plan is to research and become knowledgeable on one thing at a time.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by hautewife View Post
I've already started reading lots of views (on both sides) about whether to pre-wash or not, and the same for starching. So much to learn and figure out, it can be overwhelming. My plan is to research and become knowledgeable on one thing at a time.
Don't be afraid to experiment, too. What works for 10 people might not work at all for you!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You live in Houston where there are many quilt shops within 40 miles. Visit 1 or 2 of those and feel the fabric from manufacturers like Moda, Blank, Maywood, Kaufman, etc. and see how they feel in your hands.
Go ahead and buy a half yard of one that feels especially wonderful to you.
Take that with you when you shop at places like Hobby Lobby and chain stores; compare the "hand" of those store's fabrics to the piece you bought in the quilt shop, and see if you can tell a difference.

Jan in VA
Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

My only hint is if it seems too cheap in price, then it is probably too cheap to put into a quilt. If you have a JAF nearby, feel the fabric of some of their lower price cotton compared to the nicer stuff that is $12.99 a yard, there IS a difference. Just be sure to have FUN quilting.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:25 PM

Dear Confused,

The best quality fabric is the one you can afford!

I have NEVER checked for thread count on a fabric. But I do check for the 'hand' of a fabric - does it feel right to me? Lots of others will explain what the 'hand' means, my brain just turned that thought off!

Having said that, I have been able to find good quality fabric and not so good quality fabric in every quilt shop I've ever entered - even the chains.

I frequently use both 100% cotton and poly/cotton blend sheets for backing and have had no problem with that - so far. However, if you plan to hand quilt, a sheet might be difficult to use.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM

I buy a good bit of fabric at Hobby Lobby and Hancocks and have had good luck with it. I buy from a lot of the online stores that were mentioned, equilter.com is a good one also.