Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What did you think about Lancaster Show this year?

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries

What did you think about Lancaster Show this year?

Just wanted to know opinions about the show in Lancaster this year. I myself thought it was pretty discouraging. Didn't see any new patterns, no new techniques. Some of the older vendors were not there. Noticed that the 2nd & 3rd floors both had quilts for show. If I remember, I thought it was only on the 3d floor last year. Didnt have any problems spending money in the shops around town though. There were plenty of "good deals." What's your opinion?

This was my first trip. Was disappointed. I am used to nqa show in columbus which is much nicer. I enjoyed the mm lancaster area though

I loved it!! I don't get to go to the major quilt shows. Would love to go to Houston it's on my bucket list. But any day I get to look at beautiful quilts, buy beautiful fabric and spend time with my quilting girls is a good day. AND I met and had my picture taken with Eleanor Burns!

I agree about the shops in the area. I'm lucky we are local get to shop there all the time.
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Lol part of the reason I'm so happy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Blog Entries
    The last show I went to in Denver didn't have a room of quilts on display. they had some hung up ceiling height over the vendor rows but my eyes can't see that far. what a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    The last show I went to in Denver didn't have a room of quilts on display. they had some hung up ceiling height over the vendor rows but my eyes can't see that far. what a waste.
    The show coming up in May will have a huge room of vendors, a huge room of quilts and several classrooms. It's at the Merchandise Mart on I-25 and 58th.

This was my first show ever so I had nothing to compare it to. I loved seeing the Egyptian quilts and how they are made. Fabulous! I was a little bit disappointed in the variety and the number of quilts. There were more vendors than quilts, and I would like it better the other way round. When it comes to quilts, that is really a matter of taste and preference, but IMHO there was an overwhelming amount of appliqué, Baltimore style. There were a few quilts that stood out for me, and that I took my time looking at. That being said, I expected more than just a few quilts to stand out. I enjoyed being there nevertheless and I cannot wait for the Hershey and the Oaks shows later this year. In all honesty, I may skip this show next year unless my quilt is in it (as if that's going to happen I had a great travel and show companion and all in all we had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
    I loved it!! I don't get to go to the major quilt shows. Would love to go to Houston it's on my bucket list. But any day I get to look at beautiful quilts, buy beautiful fabric and spend time with my quilting girls is a good day. AND I met and had my picture taken with Eleanor Burns!

I agree about the shops in the area. I'm lucky we are local get to shop there all the time.
    Eleanor will be in Chautauqua, NY end of September at Quilts around Chautauqua. It's about an hour from Erie.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

This was my first time seeing the AQS Lancaster show. It was a nice show. We saw Alex Anderson, Lisa Bongean and Eleanor Burns so that was cool. I felt like all of the quilts were pretty much the same. Beautiful, yes! Very fine workmanship, no doubt but I did not feel like there as a good mix in terms of variety and genre. I am really looking forward to Hershey and Oaks. The shows I saw last year were jaw dropping.

The shopping was good (is it ever bad?). I bought a few bits and bobs. I did find a vendor with a huge selection of Kaffe Fassett which was great. I bought some lovely backgrounds. Also, there was so much wool applique! Quite a few vendors with wool. That was fun for me.

My two favorite parts of the show were seeing and talking with Lisa Bongean and of course the ride up and back. A real girls road trip. I can' t wait for the next one!

HAd a marvelous time, but didn't have much to compare it to. I bought lots of nice fabrics for projects (we won't discuss what I spent LOL) which is especially nice since I don't live near any nice shops - it's always a day trip to go to one. My biggest goal was to determine whether LA was for me, and found out I want it BAD. Now to figure where I can put one and which one....

Def going to the Hershey and Baltimore shows and hope they have the same amount of shopping!
    ​Nancy

I went to the original sewing and quilt show in Atlanta last weekend. Really enjoyed myself. I attended several classes and listened to several designers talk about their quilts and techniques. I will be attending the expo in Pittsburgh. The dates are Aug 22,23,&24.. I was in sewing heaven. If you click www.sewingexpo.com you should get the web site.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by ro View Post
    Just wanted to know opinions about the show in Lancaster this year. I myself thought it was pretty discouraging. Didn't see any new patterns, no new techniques. Some of the older vendors were not there. Noticed that the 2nd & 3rd floors both had quilts for show. If I remember, I thought it was only on the 3d floor last year. Didnt have any problems spending money in the shops around town though. There were plenty of "good deals." What's your opinion?
    I'm not clear if you mean vendors area or quilt area...? sounds like the vendors?
    The last quilt show I went to last fall left me dreadfully underwhelmed for several reasons, but going out the door I realized what I'd enjoyed was the creativity that went into the award ribbons. And that isn't worth the drive anywhere at today's fuel prices.

I have never been to that show but what I have found is that many of the shows that I have been to have increased the price for vendors making it almost impossible to end up in the plus column. I went to a major show a few years ago and was talking to a vendor who made quilting jewelry and they told me that the price for a booth had gone up so much that they were not going to be there next year. Seems that sometimes $$$'s get in the way of a lot of projects. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
    HAd a marvelous time, but didn't have much to compare it to. I bought lots of nice fabrics for projects (we won't discuss what I spent LOL) which is especially nice since I don't live near any nice shops - it's always a day trip to go to one. My biggest goal was to determine whether LA was for me, and found out I want it BAD. Now to figure where I can put one and which one....

Def going to the Hershey and Baltimore shows and hope they have the same amount of shopping!
    love the Hershey show and the vendors are lots and great

Does anyone know when the Hershey show is?

Off the top of my head, I think the Hershey show is usually near the end of July.

This was my first time at the Lancaster show. I thought it was okay. They had a lot of vendors. I'll probably go again next year simply for the sales and the energy out in the quilt shops nearby. I stood in lines with so many lovely ladies and struck up conversations with strangers who felt like friends by the time I paid for my items. Quilters in a fabric store are a happy bunch!

I really liked the quilts that were there. Since they are all waaaaay past my skill level, I was duly impressed. I had not been to any shows other than local ones put on by local guilds so this was a big day for me. I loved having all those vendors! Modern fabrics are hard come by around me so I had a blast picking up FQs. Here is some of my "haul". Oh, and I got one of those BlocLoc rulers for HST - very excited about that. I love HST except when it comes time to square them up.

Pat

I've thought - and this goes for most shows - that the quilts are getting MUCH MORE artsy. Excellent quilters and designs to be sure, but I used to leave quilt shows seeing lots of quilts I would like to make, because I USE them. The quilts displayed the days are so elaborately quilted, they are like cardboard! And certainly not something I would use on the beds and risk the cats and dogs jumping on! I understand all the fancy quilting for a wallhanging, but I miss the "useable, cuddly bed quilt category". And it seems I see the same vendors at all the shows, and even when there are different ones, the product selection is very similar. But I love it anyway and wouldn't miss it!

dd
    We went Sat., didn't appreciate the snow. We only went to the Host and Continental. Didn't get to the "real" show. Everyone was saying how disappointed they were. Host had some signature quilts and art quilts. Continental only had vendors. Got a pattern and some 30's fat quarters. Hope we get to go to Hershey in July 25-28.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

This was my first time to attend. Had no idea that there were 3 shows to visit. Went to the Host first. Then the Continental via shuttle (the traffic was awful) . Finally headed downtown and had no signage to tell a stranger where to go for parking. Asked a mounted police officer for directions and he was very nice and helped us. We spent the next day going to quilt shops and the roads are made by going around every farm. NOTHING straight about them. got lost and turned around numerous times but the people are very friendly and helpful,

Bought a beautiful clock that chimes, my souviner for my trip! Got LOTS of fabric at the local shops but not at the shows as it was much more expensive.

I like going to the Des Moines show where everything is in one place and it is much easier to find your way around. Enjoyed the many quilts and vendors. I bought a pattern that will be just stunning when I get it made. It is so new that I had to order it.
    Last edited by peppermint31; 03-18-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling and post picture
    Patricia

Blog Entries
    It's very interesting to hear everyone's comments on this. One of my quilts was accepted into the show (thanks to maryb119 for suggesting that I submit it!) so DH and I made the trip up. I agree with several of the observations about "too much applique" and "too much quilting" but it really was inspiring (and humbling) to see all the fine workmanship. The ratio of vendors-to-quilts was very high; this was my first big show, so I wasn't sure if that was normal.

I took one class, and while I enjoyed it, I don't feel that I got my money's worth. It was a LA class (I had never used one before), and was 3 hours. The teacher spoke for over an hour, then 2 people shared a machine for the remainder. Not much actual hands on time. Should have cost about 1/2 what it did.

We had a good trip, though! I'd do it again, for sure!
    Cathy

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    if your looking to purchase fabric, and who isn't, than lancaster is the place to go. considering batiks were 5.49. and there are so many shops to spend money. hershey has a nice amount of vendors, but its good to take classes at. they provide a room for sewing all night if you want. and you don't even have to be staying at the hotel. they also have a welcome evening w/games, which was very nice. oaks has vendors, and some quilts to be shown. of course, your good time depends on what your looking for. me..........it's fabric.

Banned
    did anyone get out to the vendor mall east of town at the Continental Hotel.
    If so what was there and what did you think?

Blog Entries
    No quilt show I have ever been to compares with Paducah Quilt Show. It's all quilts, quilting, and more quilts.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    did anyone get out to the vendor mall east of town at the Continental Hotel.
    If so what was there and what did you think?
    I thought it was okay. I found a few things I'd wanted to get. I would go again if I was already there. There were many fabric, pattern and kit vendors. Several places had gadgets for sale. There was a HQ vendor, and a FW place (which was so packed I never did get close enough to get a look).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast