Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the difference between Janome online and Janome instore machines >

What is the difference between Janome online and Janome instore machines

What is the difference between Janome online and Janome instore machines

Old 12-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I bought my favorite machine on line and have never been sorry.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 AM

I would disagree with several points posted, but I would preface this by saying-Every dealer is different and they all have their own individual policies. 1. Many brand names manufacture items for other retailers under the retailer's specifications, so you may not be getting the same quality online or through a discount store that you find in a dealership. 2. My sewing machine dealer will take back any machine that you are dissatisfied with up to a year. In fact, if you decide to trade up, he will give you the entire purchase price toward the new machine. 2. For me, I need that local support. I love my Janome 6600, but I had many problems with her at first. I took her back in over and over and over, almost every week until I finally figured out that she just does not like Gutermann thread. This is unusual, I am told, because most Janomes do like that particular brand. My local dealer tried everything to get her to sew without problems and never charged a penny. If I had bought it at Wal-Mart, I would have had no support whatsoever.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 AM

I have been looking the Janome Jem 720 because it has a blanket stitch that earlier models didn't have. I am a believer in supporting my LQS, but they want $599 for it and Overstock.com has it for $449 and yesterday had 15% off of that.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 AM

Default Good Luck getting the much needed help from a dealer

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
Can someone tell me what the difference is between buying a Janome online verses in the store?
I guess this question would apply to all types of sewing machines.
I'm looking- can't seem to fix my old ones.
Thanks in advance for the information.

Any idea the best place to buy one? I'm looking at the Janome Jem with the top loading bobbin.
My first instinct would be to say find a quilt shop to buy from for the after the sale service. I've found out the hard way. I too live a really long ways from a QS so bought from a Sew and Vac store. I can't get any help from the lady there. She keeps putting me off saying she's planning a wedding and after the first of the year she'll try to get someone in so she too can learn how to use the software that goes with the machine. So I found a quilt shop(almost 45 mins) that sells Janome. The lady was very helpful. She said I could have one on one classes with her but that she wasn't proficient in the software. And that she was trying to get together a pro to come in for 3 of us. Well, that was a month ago. I've called several times and she says she hasn't forgotten me. Meanwhile I have a 7K machine sitting here that I can't fully use. So good luck with finding the after the sale service. Sval
Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 AM

I purchased my Janome from a sewing and vacuum store and they have been wonderful support.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 AM

I wish mine had been. The saleswoman seemed very knowledgeable at the time about the machine itself. She was very pleasant and seemed genuinely interested in being helpful. But as soon as I said I'd take the floor model, the 12000, she couldn't pack me up fast enough. She wanted to make room for the 15000 she had on the way. I have called repeatedly and now she won't return my calls or take them. Whoever answers the phone asks for my name, and when I tell them, she never is able to come to the phone. She has admitted to not knowing how to use the Horizon Link Software or the AcuFil Software Kit. How can she possibly be selling something she has no knowledge of.?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 AM

I purchased my Janome from an authorized dealer who went out of business six months later. He is honoring the promised 3 years of free annual maintenance but other than that, I have no support.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:36 AM

I have a brother but the issue is the same. Our local dealer always adds in the she comes with the machine so to speak. The store has a Quattro club for people who bought their machine there. Each month a new project is done, free, that uses some feature on the machine. You can call or go by with any question as often and for as long as you need to. I had three one on one lessons with my machine. That kind of support makes the difference. They charge for that kind of support if you buy your machine on line. New machines are computers basically and support is needed no matter what the brand. I think it is worth the difference in price to be able to get help when I need it, I don't have the patience to wait on an email when I'm sure it is something simply that can be answered quickly. Also I know they can service my machine since they sold it to me.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 AM

I bought my Horizon 7700 & my 350E through the internet. Have had them for a number of years and not a single problem. I treat them kindly and keep them clean. They cost me hundreds of dollars less than buying local, no tax, and if they ever need fixing, I think I can pay for that. BUT and that's a big BUT if I was to think of buying the 12000 or the 15000 I would probably buy local so that they could show me all the ins & outs of it.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 AM

My mom recently bought a very expensive machine out of state.. the local dealer would not offer one morsel of instruction, even when she offered to pay. So check with your local dealer for what to expect when you need any kind of help or repair.
As for the local that refused any help... well that dealer lost out on future sales from any one who heard what my mom went through.