Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do when your seams don't line up? >

What to do when your seams don't line up?

What to do when your seams don't line up?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM

I'm doing a pattern where you sew 4" strips together into a tube, the cut the tube sideways to make more strips with each color on it.. There aren't any squares, so far it's just sewing one horizontal strip to another.. When both sides are done, then they go together and both side seams are to match up.. I up til now, i haven't seen any unevenness... yet!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by k3n
I've become much more of a perfectionist, especially since posting pics of my work on here. :lol:
Isn't it funny how a little (self-imposed) competition brings out our personal inner quilt police?
:mrgreen:

I think it's not so much what other ppl will say, it's just that errors I didn't see in the flesh leap out at you from a photo - that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 8)

WTG Diogirl! I'm sure your seams will be fine! :D

Re the 1/4" thing, it should be scant to allow for thread and the fold in the fabric. 1/4" feet are exact so you need to sew a shade under the edge and this can vary with thread and fabric thickness. I recently made a log cabin following the Judy Martin method and that was a great way to check my seam accuracy - when you lined up the next pre-cut log to a pair sewn, you saw straight away if the seam was right on or not so could adjust before making a whole lot of blocks which didn't line up. :D I did rip quite a lot at first, FYI! :shock: :lol:
Old 11-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Personally, one of the first things I would do, is get a new blade for my cutter. All great hints and tips, but one thing that wasn't mentioned is to have the slightly longer piece on the bottom and pinned as mentioned and sew.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 AM

I saw this on QNNTV, when a seam just wont line up use a piece of scotch tape to hold it in place. Be sure and use a 1 /2 inch size tape so it gives you the 1/4 inch seam allowance. Lay your pieces out flat match your seams then tape in place and fold tape in half.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Personally, one of the first things I would do, is get a new blade for my cutter. All great hints and tips, but one thing that wasn't mentioned is to have the slightly longer piece on the bottom and pinned as mentioned and sew.
I agree, nothing beats a fresh rotary blade! And when it begins to skip, flip it over and you'll get more use out of it. :wink:
Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Flipping over the blade when it skips"

Why didn't I think of this? (Thumping myself on the fourhead) Duh.

I have saved some BLADES by running them through Aluminum Foil, (like I was taught to resharpen my scissors.)
But never considered that flipping the blade over would help.

You are a genius
Old 11-06-2009, 04:16 AM

I put my blocks on my design wall and use the camera. mistakes just jump out at me. If it looks good I sew them.. this is more about colors matching up than seams . have had to adjust my seams a little.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by chattyK
Flipping over the blade when it skips"

Why didn't I think of this? (Thumping myself on the fourhead) Duh.

I have saved some BLADES by running them through Aluminum Foil, (like I was taught to resharpen my scissors.)
But never considered that flipping the blade over would help.

You are a genius
Well, I'm not shy and will gladly bathe in the warmth of that genius comment. (Boy, you don't know me, lol!) That said, turning the blade over works great but I've never heard of running the blade through aluminum foil. :shock: Does that actually work well? If so, I'm not shy, I'll be more than happy to swipe that idea and use it. I just love a good tip! 8)
Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 PM

Update* I sewed my two halves together lastnight and the lined up pretty much perfectly.. Just had to seam rip one edge about 3 inches down and redo it, but it really turned out fine... PHEW* lol thanks for the advise... Will post a picture of my quilt when it's done.. :wink:
Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 AM

I didn't know that about flipping the blade. Good tip Tiffany.

Being a beginner quilter I make a lot of mistakes, but I took a hint from sewing clothes. Instead of stitching the whole length of a seam where it's critical the corners or seams match, I just stitch the seam intersection first, maybe an inch or so to make sure they match perfectly, then you can lay it flat to see it matches between the seams before you sew the whole thing. It saves me a lot of frog stitching.