Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do when your seams don't line up? >

What to do when your seams don't line up?

What to do when your seams don't line up?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:29 AM

diogirl: I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your quilt!

sewgray: A lot of quilters will sew the intersections or points first, making sure everything matches up before sewing the entire section. I've done this for really pesky points. Most quilters who use this method use a basting stitch, which is easier to take out if the seams don't line up the first time, but is still sturdy enough to hold the piece in place when sewing it together completely. It seems you are naturally following in the heels of some of the great quilters of our time. :wink:
Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by diogirl
Update* I sewed my two halves together lastnight and the lined up pretty much perfectly..
see, you worried about nothing. Glad it worked out for you and looking forward to the picture.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I would start pinning from the center out and pin on both sides of EVERY matching seam. I know it's a lot of pinning - but hey, we will go the extra step for perfection. I can't imagine that you will have a lot of "play" between the individual squares.

Do you press the seams row by row in alternating directions? I find that can help when you put the rows together as the seams "nestle" into each other.

That said, when I have one of the pieces a little wonky, I mark both pieces in the middle and if necessary in quarters and pin on those marks. That way, the bulk of the "overage" is evenly distributed and matched to an equal amount of stretch on the "short" piece.

Then again.....it may be perfect to start with.
With this so well-said, I would then place the piece the greatest amount of fabric to ease on the bottom near the feed dogs. Chances are it will all ease in.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I saw this on QNNTV, when a seam just wont line up use a piece of scotch tape to hold it in place. Be sure and use a 1 /2 inch size tape so it gives you the 1/4 inch seam allowance. Lay your pieces out flat match your seams then tape in place and fold tape in half.
Now THAT is just an awesome trick! I use scotch tape when I set in zippers as a topstitching guide and it works great as well.

Thanks, Rose Marie :-)
Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 AM

You are welcome.
I dont use it often but sometimes a seam just will not match and with the tape it does.