Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you carry your stuff in?

Hello Friends!

As I am new to quilting I was wondering....What do you use to carry your stuff around in? My wife does not drive, so on days like tomrrow where she only works a few hours I will drive her and then hang around town, I either do errands, laundry shopping ect. or go to the library. Now I have 150 3 1/2" blocks cut, marked with 1/4" allowance and ready to sew. I don't want to just throw everything in a bag. I'd like something nice, kinda smal but big enough to carry my blocks, scissors, pin, needles.....well you all know what I need to carry LOL
    I would love to hear your ideas!!

David

Blog Entries
    A plastic tool box holds everything nicely :D:D:D

I use a fishing tackle box - a cute teal colored one, of course.

I use Art Bins. They come in several styles and now they come in colors. This is their web site although you can buy them lots of places cheaper. http://www.artbin.com/

If you go to JoAnns's or any of the other craft stores they have a whole section with nice plastic containers of all sizes for keeping projects together.

I bought the exact same plastic containers that Joann's has at Walmart for much less. I also use XXL Ziploc bags to keep individual projects in. But if I'm going to be out, I generally use the plastic carry cases.

Artbin makes a tackle box or you could try a... tackle box. :0)

Banned
    Get yourself a tackle box with the adjustable boxes in them you can fit the blocks ect in seperate compartments.

Sometimes things are right in front of you and you don't see it! LOL I have a couple tackle boxes laying around here. I don't have a teal one though :( oh well can't have everything LOL

Thanks everyone

How about a small suitcase like bag. I got one with my set of bags that was especially for sewing. It had my sewing machine bag on wheels plus two smaller bags. They zip closed. One is more flat about 12 X 18" and about 5" deep. The other one is 9 x 18 and about 10" deep. I have used either one when going to classes, etc. My hubby got my whole set at JoAnn's a few years ago on sale for about $40 I think it was. They were marked down to half price.

My sewing stuff is in a tool box I got from Home Depot. I have another one for my knitting needles and stuff. My sewing maching is in a rolling bag made for tools. I think I spend just as much time at Home Depot as my LQS, maybe more since it is closer.

Blog Entries
    I just bought plastic boxes from Big Lots today they had a good selection. Storage for bobbins and extra parts as well as fabric.

I have small "squishy" lunch totes and small traveling cosmetic bags that I use. The cosmestic bag usually has separated zipper sides to it, so you can put fabric in one side and sharps in the other side.

Blog Entries
    I never even thought of using a tackle box...what a wonderful idea!!! A large tackle box...

Blog Entries
    I like the plastic containers from WalMart with the clamps that hold the lids in place. I have several sizes and its easy to carry just what I need with me when I go out.

Blog Entries
    I vote for the tool box or tackle box. Either would be very "manly." :)

I just use a box that has a latch, zippy baggies assorted for soft items, old pin boxes, or other reusable containers for sharps, in the latch box, thrown in a backpack/napsack. Aren't you glad this can be a portable hobby. :)

I use the plastic boxes that my spinach and salad stuff comes in from the grocery store. Nice size for small projects, cut pieces, rolls of ribbon, etc. They are see through and stack nicely and the price is right.

New pizza boxes work well for completed blocks. Most pizza places will let you have a couple for free or maybe a very minimal price if you tell them why you are asking for a clean, unused one. This size keeps your pressed blocks nice and flat.

Quote Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
    I like the plastic containers from WalMart with the clamps that hold the lids in place. I have several sizes and its easy to carry just what I need with me when I go out.
    Walmart had some of their containers on clearance last week purchased several

XXL zip loc bags are so handy [will suggest that you snip off a triangle on the bottom portion] this helps with air circulation.

In the scrap booking section; you can find those handy 14 x 14 archival plastic envelopes. These will hold a project - cut blocks, instructions, etc. Note: both corners already have been snipped. Please show us some pictures.

I have a two piece unit on wheels. Bottom section with zipper holds my machine. Upper section, also zippered and removable, is the same size to hold everything else. I've had it for several years and love, love, love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
    I love these also. I keep an empty on hand to store my current project so I have it all together when I go to UFO day at my guild.

I also recently purchased a Stanley Tool Tote with pockets inside and out to hold tools. It has a fold-down handle and is large and light enough for my moveable quilt gear.

I use the plastic containers from Walmart too that has the clamps that holds the lids in place - the snap down clamps - I also use small zip lock bags too with my Magnetic Needle Holder for my pins and needles...and so forth.

I carry all of this in my big white/red Tote Bag. i need to get a Tackle Box or something so it will be easier to store my stuff in like Needles and etc.

I love all of these wonderful ideas.

That is what I use also. But watch connecting threads and they have a sale on plastic storage boxes that are the size of a finished block. When going to a class or if its something large I'm working on I use one of those. I found a nice bag in the Christmas gifts at WalMart. It had a banana bread mix in it and its just the right size to use to carry along. I am making tumbling blocks and have lots of room.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast