Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you carry your stuff in? >

What do you carry your stuff in?

What do you carry your stuff in?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 AM

XXL zip loc bags are so handy [will suggest that you snip off a triangle on the bottom portion] this helps with air circulation.

In the scrap booking section; you can find those handy 14 x 14 archival plastic envelopes. These will hold a project - cut blocks, instructions, etc. Note: both corners already have been snipped. Please show us some pictures.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:14 AM

I have a two piece unit on wheels. Bottom section with zipper holds my machine. Upper section, also zippered and removable, is the same size to hold everything else. I've had it for several years and love, love, love it.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
I like the plastic containers from WalMart with the clamps that hold the lids in place. I have several sizes and its easy to carry just what I need with me when I go out.
I love these also. I keep an empty on hand to store my current project so I have it all together when I go to UFO day at my guild.

I also recently purchased a Stanley Tool Tote with pockets inside and out to hold tools. It has a fold-down handle and is large and light enough for my moveable quilt gear.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 AM

I use the plastic containers from Walmart too that has the clamps that holds the lids in place - the snap down clamps - I also use small zip lock bags too with my Magnetic Needle Holder for my pins and needles...and so forth.

I carry all of this in my big white/red Tote Bag. i need to get a Tackle Box or something so it will be easier to store my stuff in like Needles and etc.

I love all of these wonderful ideas.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:56 AM

That is what I use also. But watch connecting threads and they have a sale on plastic storage boxes that are the size of a finished block. When going to a class or if its something large I'm working on I use one of those. I found a nice bag in the Christmas gifts at WalMart. It had a banana bread mix in it and its just the right size to use to carry along. I am making tumbling blocks and have lots of room.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 AM

To put needles or bobbins in I use tic tac empty boxes. Mark the lid with what size needle and you don't have to guess. I also use the altoid boxes or any of those little containers that are empty. Pill bottles are good, take labels off or talk your pharmcy into giving you some with no labels. I store my single pieces to be sewn together in the snack bags.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 AM

I got this neat bag from Yankee Candle for a few bucks a week ago, and I love it.

A quilting friend of mine puts her quilt pieces in a bag that she got when she bought a blanket. It is one of those clear, zip-up ones.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:24 AM

I carry the squares I'm working on in a Longaberger basket!! If you knew me, you'd know that I've been selling them for a long time and have a stash of them in every size avail!!!!! That said, I have to admit it's not everyone's solution--you wouldn't want to be carrying a 9x13 basket just for several squares!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 AM

A woven, lined Picnic Basket is a must. It has pull up lids, a landle and is strudy enough to set of the floor of an automobile without turning over. Also safe from the weather, consider the lining, snow, rain, etc.

I love mine. It is a smaller one, but just the right size for a piece of fabric, sissors, ruler, template, pins and a treat or 2 for your dull moments. Also great for crocheters. You can always use a storage box at home, when your work needs a change of item.

Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 AM

I have the tote with several pockets for everything. I have a fold up cutting board/ ironing pad and rulers that fit in the middle. If the blocks are sewn or partially sewn a pizza box keeps them neat and tidy. I also use a wide mouth Sears tool bag. It works great but is bigger.