Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you carry your stuff in? >

What do you carry your stuff in?

What do you carry your stuff in?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 PM

I love anything see-through to store items in - If I want to be able to find it - after I put it away- I need to beable to half way see it - I can't tell you how many items are lost in all the zipper compartments in my purse.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 PM

how about large flat type of tupperware containers..tackle boxes..if you want to go fancy go to office depot..cost a little more but you;ll be stylish
Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 PM

I use what used to be a make-up "suitcase". it has inside drawers that lift up & out. elastic strips in the lid to hold cutter, scissors. like something that closes for travel to class. but---just saw the neatest thing at Sears. for tools.it is open, but has pockets all around, etc. great when you get to a class--everything is right there. I have a small,pink one that I bought from Michaels that I use on my sewing table all the time. but this one is bigger & is calling my name. I use those giant baggies for projects, they hold so much & pack so easy.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 PM

I also use a see through tackle box,double sided with different compartments for storing all of my machine embroidery Thread. Then for storing all of my other thread I have some of the plastic storage boxes with clamps on the side and handle on top from Wall Mart Sterlite brand I think, and use the smaller ones for storing all of my machine needles in. I have two different types of pencil holders, one that is plastic and has a snap on the end I think I got it at Office Depot, I use it for carrying a pair of small scissors, seam ripper, pair of tweezers and a the small metal six inch rulers some spools of thread will fit in it, if I can't get my thread in it, I just put that in a zip lock bag. The other one is metal and has a snap on lid and is shaped like a pencil- I got that when teaching from some sales person, that I carry extra bobbins, my screwdriver for my sewing machine, a pkg. of sewing needles and two or three extra machine attachment feet. I carry that one with me to our quilting group all the time. When I am traveling in the car and taking something with me, if I am working or small things, I use a small flat cloth zippered croww stitch/embroidery bag, that has plastic divider sleeves in it. scissors, needles and rulers also fit well in this and I can carry small blocks if I need to. I have a couple of nice toe bags that I use to carry large items that I am working on, and I usually have my plastic pencil case in it, so I don't misplace my scissors and necessities. I like to use plastic zip locks quart size, to put each color or sizes of my blocks I have cut and will be working on. They don't take up a lot of space in any of your bags, and you don't accidently pull out some of the blocks and lose them when working on them somewhere.
I have lots of the plastic storage bins that I have and use for different colors of thread. I also use them for other sewing needs (not quilting) bias tape, lace, velcro, elastic, etc.
By the way David, tell us what you got when you went shopping and what pattern you are working on. Show pics if you can of your fab. and pattern. Have full. Sounds like you've really been busy cutting fabric.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Plastic containers with the clamps that hold the lids on, zip lock bags, and those plastic shoe boxes work great.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 AM

Carolaug just love your Avatar if I didn't know better I would have thought you came in to my house a took a picture of my cat Sookie. I don't know how to post pictures or I would show you just how a like they are.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 AM

How about a briefcase? Some are quite nice with pockets and divided sections...and wouldn't you look like a professional gentleman? or, a doctor's bag could work, too. Myself, I make do with a tote bag with zip top baggies, pill bottles, and a pencil case for scissors, rotary cutter and pens/pencils and a 6" ruler; small cutting mat...and off I go !!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 AM

I think I own as many style containers as have already been mentioned, lol. There is a great satisfaction in finding just 'one more' container option and trying it - and then spending untold time reorganizing everything else, lol.

A trip to Joann's, Walmart, Home Depot - O.K., just about any store - finds me checking out the storage container aisle. Fortunately, I don't buy them all, looking usually solves the urge.

Bottom line: they all work just fine - until a new one shows up on the radar,lol.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 AM

My Tahoe!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by fabric=fun
I think I own as many style containers as have already been mentioned, lol. There is a great satisfaction in finding just 'one more' container option and trying it - and then spending untold time reorganizing everything else, lol.

A trip to Joann's, Walmart, Home Depot - O.K., just about any store - finds me checking out the storage container aisle. Fortunately, I don't buy them all, looking usually solves the urge.

Bottom line: they all work just fine - until a new one shows up on the radar,lol.
Oh good gravy! I am the same way.

I have a quilted bag I put all my stuff in to tote around. Inside that I have other little storage options. Thing is, I don't pack light. Don't think I ever could.

When I had 3 babies to tote, their diaper bag was like a suitcase. Had everything I needed and back up. Didn't care how it looked, I was prepared!

:lol: