Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you cut fabric on? >

What do you cut fabric on?

What do you cut fabric on?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM

my husband made me one that the sides fold down when not in use,love that man!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue
Ok, so maybe being under 5' isn't all that bad! I've never found a surface that is too low for me.....however, I do have a problem with the dining table being too high when I sit down for a meal! :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-05-2011, 12:28 PM

I have a used computer desk that I found at GOODWILL for $7.50..........I have it sitting beside my sewing machine, so can just turn my chair from the machine to this desk and I cut out on that...........can do it sitting down, so no back problem.I have a large cutting mat; I also have one of the small portable ironing boards, and I sit that on top pf the desk when I am sewing and want to press each square.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
I use my island bar.. if I'm cutting a lot..a quilting friend has one of those tables and she loves it..loves the fact 2 sides drop down and she can push it up against a wall.. when not in use!
I always used my kitchen counter too, and it was a perfect height. But I was really happy when my friend gave me her cutting table so I could keep the mess out of my kitchen finally and back to my sewing room. I love how the sides drop down also and usually only need one side up. I can drop it down to make more room when necessary.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Just this past week I saw Jodi Barrows use the greatest new idea on her latest daily video. It is an oblong ironing board with a same sized cutting mat that fits on the board, all sit on two rolling chest of drawers. http://squarequilting.com/index1.htm
Serendipity strikes again! I saw a man at the Quilters Unlimited Show this weekend that is selling them.
The set up i saw was white http://www.traceystables.com/products/miscell.php.I wish I had the space for one.
Also another solution-this fits your ironing board-Nancys Notions Notion 17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSu3PVpnHnk
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM

i have knee and leg problems so cut sitting down. The extension on the sewing cabinet works great. I know this is hard for most people to picture sitting while cutting but after years I find even the wide cuts with long rulers work fine. I think we all do what we have to keep sewing.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Originally Posted by oldcatlady
Originally Posted by Bluelady
I got one of the cutting tables from Joannes. It is a much better height for my back, but still a bit low. I am 5'8" so if you are taller it would also seem a bit low. If shorter, the height will be fine.
My main complaint about the table is that it is too wobbly. It wiggles too much. I still use it but I would truly prefer something more solid and a a couple inches taller.
Thanks Bluelady. That's what I wanted to know. I was afraid it would be wobbly and they are not that cheap and didn't want to buy it and not like it
CarolinePaj - I like that table, what is the name of it?

Hi Guys,

The table is the Horn Hi Lo Table and is as sturdy as a house of bricks. DD sits on it and it doesn't even quiver. I also forgot to say that the table is on casters so you can move it about at will. Great for when you need it to suppliment other tables in the house and it can be adjusted to their exact size!

All in all I think it is a wonderful investment!

Hugs
did you attach a photo if so I cant get it would love to see your table ........thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by oldcatlady
I have a bad back and cutting fabric on my dining room table kills me. Has anyone used those cutting tables from JoAnn's? I was thinking about getting one but wanted to see what you all had to say first. Thanks for any input!
Many years ago I purchased a cutting table from Walmart. I just love it. The base of it has storage on both sides. One side has 2 locking drawers and door that has two inside shelves. Other side has one big door with 3 shelves. Now to the best part - the table itself has two hinged shelves that when not in use you can let down if you want. It is 36"wide by 66 1/4" when the leaves are extended. And the heigth is just under 37" - just right for my heigth of 5'4". the best piece of inexpensive furniture I have ever purchased! I can't remember what I paid for it though. If you need more info on it pm me - I might be able to find some stickers on it somewhere.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 PM

I use the dinning room table.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:55 PM

I have the JoAnns table and love it High enough and I also have back problems and the table is what I needed to make life easier.