Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with all of your hard work? >

what do you do with all of your hard work?

what do you do with all of your hard work?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM

to Howard, last year I fell and broke my right wrist and could not do too much - a suggestion if you want make a quilt or something small - what I did is I had a whole box of 3-1/2 in squares of all assorted colors and fabrics - I was depressed because I couldn't cut fabric - but I got out the box of 3-1/2 squares and started sewing them together - even if I had only a few minutes they go together really fast and before you know it they are all sewed together into a quilt - I had so many that I have made 1 king size and 2 queen size quilts (which look like they are really old fashion) and now days they have precut packets of squares that would probably do nicely. Just a suggestion - I find when I am really unhappy sewing a few rows perks me up...
Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 AM

Many of the smaller quilts I have done are seasonal in nature so I put them on display during that season. I'm working on grandkiddies quilts now for when they get married - 1.5 to go out of 4. Whew! Given some, kept some, and saving some to give.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks a bunch .
Originally Posted by bmorawitz
to Howard, last year I fell and broke my right wrist and could not do too much - a suggestion if you want make a quilt or something small - what I did is I had a whole box of 3-1/2 in squares of all assorted colors and fabrics - I was depressed because I couldn't cut fabric - but I got out the box of 3-1/2 squares and started sewing them together - even if I had only a few minutes they go together really fast and before you know it they are all sewed together into a quilt - I had so many that I have made 1 king size and 2 queen size quilts (which look like they are really old fashion) and now days they have precut packets of squares that would probably do nicely. Just a suggestion - I find when I am really unhappy sewing a few rows perks me up...
Thanks a bunch. That is a great tip. Now I have to get busy cutting squares but that should be fun and only have to do a few at a time. Bet they really add up. Thank you .
Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 AM

I do some of all of the above, I keep some,use some, 'save' some, and give some away, it depends on the situation. Anytime I start to wonder what I'd do with another quilt, I start a quilt, and the thought passes.LOL!!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 AM

My daughter asked me the same question and I told her what was SHE going to do with my quilts after I'm gone. I do a lot of "give-a-way" quilts my girl tells me I'm doing my part for "global warming". My daughter and one of my brohters are the only ones in my family that like or care about my quilts so I have an abundance of them at my house. I also give them to churches to raffle off.
Right now I have one I'm doing out of men's shirts that come from the thrift store. I'm finding that the shirts don't want to cooperate when cutting.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I have given most of mine away, Kids,Grandkids, Friend and her 1 kid & five Grandkids, and to certain special girls. I also made about 28 comforters and I kept 2. I will probably keep most of the ones I make from now on unless someone special comes along and I think they need a quilt. I have tons and tons of fabric left.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM

I give them, use them, display them... only "save" holiday quilts until the next year comes around again.

In my home there are wallhangings, pillows, tablerunners, and a small framed landscape. So far all my quilts for beds or cuddling have been for loved ones or homeless shelters. I'm finally making myself a lapquilt!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:00 PM

When I started quilting about 10 years ago, I gave all my quilts to daughters and granddaughters.My first quilt, made during my first class sessions, is still unfinished but it's about 90% hand quilted. Maybe someday I'll finish it. But then we started a Prayer Quilt Ministry at our church and now that's all I do. We make large throws and in 2 1/2 years another lady and I have made 56 quilts. It's the absolute joy of my life when you know how meaningful they are to people with serious illness or life issues. All I have in my house is a double wedding ring throw on my bed, one Christmas wall hanging and about a dozen mini quilts. Welcome to quilting!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM

I give alot of them away to family and friends, I use some for myself and I like to decorate my home with some. I have learned to keep a scrapbook of my quilts. I take a picture and write all the info on it and who I gave it to. It is surprising after awhile you forgot you made this or that quilt. I also give to charity connecte with my quilt guild.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:46 PM

I'm on my second round of quilts for the grandchildren and great grands. The first ones were whole cloth and tied. The second round is pieced. And then there are the baby quilts for friends. nieces and nephews, and former students. And the charity quilts (hurricanes, church bazaars, etc.). I would love to be able to get ahead and have a few made and stored. Each time I have to hustle up and bustle up to get one done "in time." I haven't made any for our three children, but they do have crocheted afghans made when they were still living at home. I have a WIP for our son, but the girls will have to wait a while longer. Perhaps I'd better start quilting 24/7.