Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with all of your hard work? >

what do you do with all of your hard work?

what do you do with all of your hard work?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:55 PM

Well Ladies, I started out I was just going to do for the grandchildren. At that time there was only 9 of them and none were married. Now 4 are married and my 4 sons said we want quilts too. So that upped it to 13 quilts and of course placemats for my poker club ladies. Then the daughter-in-laws said they had to have quilts and then 2 step granddaughters had to be added to the list. Then 3 of the girls get married so their husbands had to have a quilt. Then there were wall hangings to make and table toppers and the list keeps going on and on now there are 5 great grandchildren and another on the way. How do you say no. I have made a red quilt for myself but I will have to put it on hold again since I have another granddaughter getting married in Nov or later.
So we keep grinding out the quilts and loving it.
So may to sew and so little time to do it. Henriellen [email protected]
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 PM

I received a call today from my DIL, this morning my DGD will be 6 March 1st told her Mom (DIL) to call meme and tell her "I want need a new quilted sweatshirt jacket this time in pink". LOL I have the perfect FQ pack from Moda, and I will look for sweatshirts tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Hi, The reason I hand quilt my quilts is because it is so soothing. I can watch TV and do something productive at the same time. You know the old saying," idol hands make mischief".
I do not use hoops or other devices to hold my quilts. I set with them in my lap and my big male black and white cat on top of the quilt. He has to over see the making and sewing of the quilts.
His name is O. Jay and he is a lover not a killer. Any cat that can bring two live uninjured chipmunks in at the same time can not be a killer.
Henri
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
Welcome to the board and the answer is: all of the above. Glad you joined us.
LoL! Ditto ....
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 AM

I give a lot of mine away. I've used them as Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, and church fund raisers. I've also kept many that have been too expensive or too challenging to give up. Those I use. My walls are too full of paintings to hang quilts so I have to use them on the beds in order to display them. To save a quilt for "something special" is a waste. I have my grandma and grandpa's wash day quilt--the one that was on their bed every day of the year except for wash day. It's so worn that a lot of the blocks are just frayed remnants of the edges but I love it because I know that it represents years of love. That's the true value of a quilt. We should never let our quilts become orphans.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 AM

I have one geat spot where I can hang a quilt on the wall and I rotate the one I hang. Many of them are given away. Seasonal ones I store folded in a closet. I always take a photo and now I have a software program called "QulitAlbum" to easily load them into. I have to admit my quilting partner and I bugged our husbands to develop this program just because we didn't have a good way to record all that we had done.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM

I began piecing and quilting out of necessity. I needed something I couldn't afford to buy.

It became interesting and challenging and I learned from that needful project.

I had not been painting and expressing my creative self for years due to health problems from the painting media.

Now I can draw and paint again, with fabric.

I got tired of using my time to read and not having a productive result from that time.

Don't get me wrong, reading for pleasure is a mental necessity, but I was using much too much of my time in that pursuit.

I am very thankful that I can physically DO something, be creative, and the result be a product to be used by someone.

Short answer: I use them, my friends WANT them (so far :-0), and I enjoy making more for the challenge of new techniques and the picture that hasn't been painted/sewed yet.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
Welcome to the board and the answer is: all of the above. Glad you joined us.
hi and welcome. and I agree.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Hi, I have just started the picture creating. I always wanted to paint but didn't like what came out and Paint and my sinuses don't get along. So I had to quit that but material and needles I think I can do. I have a problem with color. I like loud bright colors. Have to learn to tone down a little.

I have had two wall hangings go at auctions. Of course I didn't get the money but they were nice enough to tell me what they went for. I was surprised when they told me $35 dollars. These were at Local Golf Tournaments. My little signature quilts were very popular with my old ladies poker club. One of the girls said that was the best present I had given them in all the years we have been doing this.
Keep sewing girls and boys. It is good for your moral.
Henri
Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM

I have never kept one of my quilts.
they are all baby(crib) size and I send them off to NICU units at hospitals here and in New Orleans.
I have made them for my grand children and greats.