Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with fat quarters? >

What do you do with fat quarters?

What do you do with fat quarters?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM

My experience with fat quarters has been that if you buy them for a certain collection, they are fun. But I've bought fat quarters that were put together by the LQS and looked nice, but when I opened them, many were disappointing. I agree with buying 1/2 yards when you can as sometimes the fat quarters are a little thin. Instead of 18 x 22, some were 18ish by 21 and didn't provide me with the amount I needed for my project.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
If you like quilts with many fabrics and colors fat quarters are great. Just about all quilts I make are based on fat quarters. I have a stash of fat quarters that I draw from when I plan a quilt. Then I use about 1 1/4 yard for a border that goes with the fat quarters. I realy like scrappy quilts.
The pattern is a simple star set on point alternating with whole pieces of large prints. I changed the star size a little but you can find a simple star pattern on Quilter's Cache.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:arS6wSdQpJwJ:www.quilterscache.com/S/SimpleStarQuilt.html+simple+star+quilt+pattern+qui lter's+cache&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com
Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Usually buy fat quarters when my LQS has 1/2 price sale. I like them and this does make it somewhat cheaper.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM

I give them away on my blog on my Fun Fact Friday Freebie game. It's on vacation until I get home from my snowbird trip on April 1st, but I'll restart it with a giveaway. But I also use them a lot in applique when I only need a little bit of something. Art quilts too.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM

I love scrapy quilts so I buy a lot of fat quarters. My problem now is that I need a lot of scraps to cut 5--1 1/2" squares do I buy a fat quarter, quarter yard, or eighth yard, so I guess we all are always asking questions on how much and what cuts. If you like it, buy it and that's my story and I'm sticking to it
Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Hi I really like what you have done with these fat quarters. I have so many I must figure out what I can make with the many I have in my stash
Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

I usually buy 1/2 yard and make myself 2 fat quarters.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM

One of the easiest quilts to make with fat quarter is from the first Turning Twenty book. Twenty fat quarters are cut into squares and rectangles, mixed up, and sewen back together to make interesting combinations. Then the new blocks are turned differntly from it's neighbor and put together block to block. It makes a beautiful quilt and isn't hard to do. I can't remember for sure, but it seems that 25 or 30 FQ make a queen size quilt. And there isn't much waste of fabric.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM

I mainly buy fqs, love them. I buy bigger pieces for backgrounds & backing. You have to decide what kind of quilts you mostly like to make. I don't like two or three color quilts, I like lots of colors or prints, in my quilts, & I mostly only need a little bit at a time, so this works for me. This way I get buy more different fabrics too, just a little bit of this, & a little bit of that. I watch for them on sale too, & buy them that way when I can. Doesn't seem like so much, money wise either, when you just buy a few at a time...
Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Banned

I really don't like them, or use them, to be honest. I prefer yardage. I have some FQ's, but not a lot, and I'm not buying anymore.