Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with fat quarters? >

What do you do with fat quarters?

What do you do with fat quarters?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 AM

I recently purchased various fabric called for in a Sidelights pattern I was going to follow. A few of the colors called for a fat quarter of each. To be sure I had the height/width needed for the pieces, I order a 1/2 yd. of each of those, equivalent to 2 fat quarters. "Just building a little stash!!"
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Check out Connecting Threads for fat quarters because the price of 4 quarters is the same as their price/yd....no extra charge for cutting.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 AM

I have never bought fat quarters. I buy 1/2 yard cuts. This gives me plenty for for several scrap quilts and adds to my stash and I believe is cheaper than buying fat quarters.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM

I buy both....
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM

I love fat quarters - you can use them so many ways. If you look for sales - groups especially - you can get a lot of variety for a reasonable price.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 AM

I collect them! Seriously though, I like fat quarters because I can afford to buy them. I know they cost more/yard, but it's a small investment and I don't feel bad about money being tied up in a big piece of fabric that I don't know when I will use. I also like getting lots of prints in small pieces. I buy solids as fillers in yardage though. And of course, I like backing fabric in yardage.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I have never bought fat quarters. I buy 1/2 yard cuts. This gives me plenty for for several scrap quilts and adds to my stash and I believe is cheaper than buying fat quarters.
I like 1/2 yard cuts too. They're fun!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 AM

I love your quilt! Besides Star what is the star pattern called? I'm thinking this would make a great college quilt but I'm not sure how to make the star, I'm kinda new at this, can you help?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 AM

In Australia we seem to often buy in fat quarters often due to price. We buy fabric in metre lengths (just over a yard I think) and the average price here is about $26 per metre for fabric. I have seen fabric at $53 per metre but this was direct from the United Kingdom. When you think about the Australian dollar being just under the US dollar, our fabric is very costly. Often I will buy the whole range in a design if I like it and often 2 fat quaters or long quarters as this sometimes works out a little cheaper. I use them for applique and quilts. :)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lue
I've always bought yardage and never fat quarters. I get the concept of color matching when I buy them in sets but how many fat quarters does it take to make a quilt? Is it more or less expensive to buy fat quarters than yardage? Thanks for helping me.
I put them in a drawer & ignore them. I prefer yardage myself, and IF I buy a FQ, I try to get at least 4 of the same kind. Then I put them in a drawer and forget them. :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: