Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with fat quarters? >

What do you do with fat quarters?

What do you do with fat quarters?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks, I just printed it out!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM

I usually don't purchase fat quarters, usually cut them on my own.

But, they are useful for making a set of potholder hotpad fabric trivets, or a waist style apron. You will still need the Insulbrite for the potholders, and the apron waist part and ties for the apron, but it does save a little bit of time if you want to make something quick. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM

When I first started out, I would only buy fat quarters, they are easier to work with,but now I seem to run out of them before I finish my quilt. Plus a huge - is that I do not have a local LQS which is the only place, besides online, that you can find them. Actually I do buy them at Joannes, my mistake, but I now gravitate towards yardage. Oh well, everything is beautiful.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM

When I first starting quilting long ago, all I bought was yardage. I never could understand why fat quarters were even cut. Then I started hand applique, quit piecing, and got a revelation on them. You have to collect a lot of them for applique. The more, the better. Now I have 10 million. LOL
Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM

four Fat Quarters make a yard of Fabric, hope that this helps.

Lanny
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by AnnieH
Maybe they're a beginners thing when you're unsure about choice of colours? I buy yardage now as FQs are never enough when looking for fabric for a quilt.
I have found too many times that I fall in love with a fabric and then I can't find any more than just a fat quarter!!!!!
I have also found fq's that I love at Joann's but they don't have the yardage, however, at the lqs they do their own fq's, thus, they cut from the bolt and have yardage as well. The fq's that don't have any more on the bolt go in the sale bins. So you might try a LQS and see if they do the same. Happy hunting.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM

I have some fat quarters that I used to buy in a bundle at JoAnn's with a coupon. But they raised the prices of the bundles and I don't use the fat quarters very much, so I quit buying them. Once in a while, I'll find them on sale for $1 and then I'll buy some if I find some I love - and I'll buy as many as I can of one print. The bundles are so cute sometimes with coordinating fabrics and that's what tempts me, but you can't make a very big quilt with them, so not sure what to do with them. Maybe a wallhanging.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 PM

I like fat quarters and buy several of the same fabric if I can't find the fabric by the yard. I have had problems with some being poor quality or very thin fabric.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:35 PM

I make queen /king size quilts 99% of the time so fat quarters won't get the job done. I rather buy a straight quarter yard than a fat quarter usually the price is less for a qt.yd.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM

I love fat quarters for scrappy looking quilts. My first quilt was the original Turning Twenty, all made of Fat Quarters. That twenty indicated it would take 20 fat quarters to make the quilt. My quilt was a king sized one though, so it took about 35 FQ.