Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do if >

what do you do if

what do you do if

Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Thank you! My response was not that kind!
no, it really wasn't. And since you asked, I will tell you. I am trained as a scientist/clinician and had to conduct then write up original research to obtain my doctorate. As almost anyone in any research area can tell you, plagiarism is really a major issue. Given that you "publish or perish" if you are in research, your very livelihood depends on avoiding plagiarizing anyone or having anyone plagiarize your work. So, I'm sensitive to that. Plus, it was applique and original, not a simple nine-patch, as you intimated. And I love this woman's work and learned her technique in class. So, right or wrong, I feel like she's a personal friend and am at least psychically watching out for her. Third, I was raised by a true, evil sociopath and as a result, I am overly super-ego bound, so that is why I think of these things. I worry about everyone in a psychological attempt to undo the evil my father strewed liberally.

And, to end it, I do not understand why some responses seem so angry and others mean. I was taught, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. If you are tired of this subject, you had the choice not to open the topic. Walk on by, or as several said (and I heard as hurtful though they may not have been intended as such), MYOB.

now, I'll probably have incited a war. I'm sorry. Can I blame it on power surges? and stress? I really do like this site and try to respect everybody's point of view.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM

I don't know many quilters who buy patterns and follow them to the letter. IF I buy a pattern (which is rare) there are always changes I want to make in the design. I never make 2 quilts alike and never buy a pattern that limits what I can do with it. Quilters are creative people who use patterns for inspiration--not as something written in stone that must be followed!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 AM

this subject has been discussed over and over WHO CARES?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 AM

I like your response ghostrider...
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 AM

I do believe that that statement implies that you cannot resell the pattern.......not the quilt made from it.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 AM

We buy the pattern to make quilts....did the designer think We were going to just gaze at her design???? Enough already!!! If I bought it, she made her money and has no say about it after that. Chevy doesn't tell me where to drive, Hellman's doesn't tell me where to eat. If this keeps up they can keep their designs. I have enough magazines to keep me busy for a hundred years.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 AM

I think that most copywright language means that the pattern cannot be sold. Never heard of not selling the finished project. Even the copyrighted language does not mean a hill of beans unless they have legally gotten the pattern copyrighted.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 AM

So true about the posting repeats. There is no way in the world I can keep up with all the fabulous ideas, questioning thoughts, designing issues, and just plain fun with all the postings on this wonderful forum. I would be spending hours each day, I have a life, a job and quilt, garden, have friends, a husband, grandkids that take up my time. What may be old news to some of us, may be a mind opener to others.

If I see repeats of discussion I will scan the replies or just not read them. In no way should a topic be "nipped in the bud" if it has been discussed before. Caustic replies most days make me smile - and some days I have to respond, but hey "if you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen". We are all equal on this board - lighten up people, keep your egos in your sewing room.

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
Because there are always new people reading the items on this board, or there are new quilters reading. Have a heart!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
who the bleep cares? Not me, if i want to raise a fuss it will be about something important like child hunger, lack of proper help for mental illness ..........................
i agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 AM

nycquilter- don't worry about what might seem negative responses. I agree with those that wouldn't do anything about the issue. If the quilter is doing something wrong, it will come back to haunt her/him. That being said, if you choose to pursue the issue, then do it and don't worry about someone else's opinion.

I bought a pattern once that stated that quilts made from the pattern were protected by copyright law. Does this mean, she owns the quilt. Funny thing, since buying that pattern, I have seen quite a few others that were the same- at least they looked the same. I hesitate to buy products from this designer now. The statement just seemed greedy and elitist to me.

It's just my opinion.

I have seen this topic on this board several times and usually read at least some of the posts. There are a lot of repeats. New people come on, we miss some of the posts and sometimes we just need a refresher. If you don't like the topic, don't read it, I say. It's not worth getting my shorts in a bunch.

Have a great day nycquilter! Stitch away and don't worry about anything else.