Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with old rulers when they are replaced? >

What do you do with old rulers when they are replaced?

What do you do with old rulers when they are replaced?

Old 11-02-2017, 02:19 PM

I keep and use mine; however, when we get a new, just beginning member, I give them several of my older rulers. I remember how I could not afford to buy rulers when I first started, so I like to share my wealth whenever possible.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:56 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I keep all my rulers because I only buy ‘new to me’ rulers. I’d love to have a few Creative Grid rulers, but I have all the sizes I need in Omnigrid rulers. But I really would love to have the two Creative Grid rulers that are most used.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

I got all the Quilter's Select basic size rulers. All my special size rulers I kept. I have a few Olfa frosted and will keep those. The yellow lines one I got rid of. I had more miss cuts using those. No one took the yellow lined ones at my guild free table. Seems no one likes them.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

This may sound perfectly horrible, but...I just realized I left a 6x24, a mat, and a sewing machine in the cabin we sold yesterday. Other than that, I keep them. If the edge us nit linger perfectly straight, I use it for marking.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:57 PM

I had a ruler that was used for a long time by someone, then put in the free box at a garage sale. I was starting out, and didn't have a ruler, so I took it. The edge was somewhat nicked up, but I used it for a few years until edge was very nicked up, and in addition, the black lines on it had disappeared, making it a little difficult to see the line that I wanted to use for cutting the fabric. Finally, I bought a new ruler. So-- what I did with the old one is this-- I asked my son, who has a scroll saw to cut it and sand it neatly into two triangles, as I didn't have a triangle ruler in the sizes that he could create from the old ruler. He has lots of types of paints, as painting is one of his creative hobbies, and he could paint lines for me too (seems impossible, but he could do it). So, I guess you could say my old ruler was refurbished?

But I think a nice use for an old ruler might be to put it in the bottom of a tote bag in order to stiffen, strengthen, and give body to the bottom of the bag. It would be good to sand the corners a little round, so as not to be too sharp in a fabric bag bottom. When my cutting mat got too cut up to use anymore, that's what I made with it, pieces cut to size to put in the bottom of tote bags. It was sort of handy to have the inch lines on the mat, as that made it easy to cut it into the correct sizes.

Last edited by givio; 06-28-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
This may sound perfectly horrible, but...I just realized I left a 6x24, a mat, and a sewing machine in the cabin we sold yesterday. Other than that, I keep them. If the edge us nit linger perfectly straight, I use it for marking.

What a great housewarming gift! LOL We are in the process of moving and I can understand exactly how easy it would be to forget where I stashed a few things. I have stuff strewn between two homes now.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:22 AM

Sometimes I'll give them to my sister who's into crafting more so than sewing or I'll take them out to my workshop and use them there.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Madgie Rae View Post
I didn't see that anyone mentioned the Slide-Lock rulers. Just looking at them I thought they would be grand! Anyone know of them or how those that have them like them?
I was given a Slide-Lock ruler with the lighted edge as a Christmas gift 2 years ago and I love it! Just this past week, I've been cutting strips for a strip quilt and can stack quite a few layers of material and cut all at once. It really is easier on my aging hands. Took me a little bit to remember which edge of my material I was working on and I changed out my rotary cutter to have the blade on the other side of the handle. Works for me!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I am about to give my old 8 1/2 x 24 inch ruler to the lady at the UPS store. She is taking up quilting. I have had that ruler for years and decided to get a new one because i had glued a L shaped guard on it and then very brightly-turned the ruler and cut. yep, cut my thumb. So that guard did not work due to my brain.
i got a replacement recently on sale. $19.00 instead of $42.00 another shop asked for.
i will give her two books also. I told her I started out hand sewing clothing, so she can do it!
Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

If they are still usable, I keep them and put them with the rest of the rulers.

If they have gotten a curve on the edge from use - they go in the trash.