Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with old rulers when they are replaced? >

What do you do with old rulers when they are replaced?

What do you do with old rulers when they are replaced?

Old 11-01-2017, 05:23 AM

I’ve been quilting for a long time and have not yet replaced any of my standard sized OmniGrid rulers. Though as I get older I’d love something that’s a little easier to see through.... if I were to make the switch and my Omnigrids were still in good shape for quilting use I’d donate them.

Rob
Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 AM

I'd been saving them "just in case", but now that I'm really trying to get rid of a lot of extra "stuff" in my life, I've pulled all of my spares and doubles and things I'm sure I'll never use into a big box and invited my quilty and crafty friends to come and take whatever they like. It was a surprisingly large box (wasn't all quilting stuff), but one of my scrapbooking/papercrafting friends who recently lost everything in the local fires claimed most of it, so that felt doubly good. Good to see all the extra stuff go away, and good to see it go to someone who would definitely get use out of it.

Anything my friends don't want, I will donate to a thrift shop in the next town over that specializes in reselling fabric and sewing supplies for the benefit of the local senior center. But there's very little left!

Anything damaged or not working I would have tossed right away - I'm somewhat of a hoarder, but always been pretty good at throwing truly useless things out. Bad tools are a pet peeve, I won't tolerate it!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
You can give them to a quilter that is just starting out. I received a bagful from a friend who was downsizing when I was just in the early days of my quilting hobby. There were sizes and shapes I would not necessarily have bought for myself, but once exposed to them learned the benefits of them. I also got some bloc locs and half geese ruler that I would have NEVER known existed. It was a generous gift and it really helped me :-)
I really like this idea. i gave my omnigrid to me little daughter for future use
Old 11-01-2017, 11:13 AM

I didn't see that anyone mentioned the Slide-Lock rulers. Just looking at them I thought they would be grand! Anyone know of them or how those that have them like them?
Old 11-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I keep my old rulers. Hubby will then have some to use on his misc. projects.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:00 PM

I love the idea of gifting to a new quilter, passing the baton to a future generation

I recently discovered a delightful use for old quilting rulers on Pinterest that you can use as sewing room art
here is the direct link. I just love this idea!! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/9218374220551271/

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-28-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: remove copyright pic
Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 PM

I've only removed a couple of rulers from my collection because I didn't use them and my sister took them and uses them in her sewing (she doesn't quilt). When I replace a ruler, it's because it is damaged.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:07 AM

Recently we used one of my old long rulers as a guide when cutting wallpaper, could see the pattern underneath (also old rotary cutter worked a treat too). When clamping a quilt or fabric down on the worktable, I put the ruler between fabric and clamp. The old ruler gives a greater area of grip and I can still see if my lines etc are straight.

Hettyb
Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

melindac- that's adorable!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by melindac View Post
I recently discovered a delightful use for old quilting rulers on Pinterest that you can use as sewing room art
Cute! That'd be a great use for rulers that are worn out or otherwise not appropriate for passing on to someone else - keeps them out of the landfill! Also a cute gift idea for a quilty friend!