Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make? >

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 AM

I show some, gift some, donate some, keep some, sell some...hang some, use some, frame some...never finish some, throw some away, cut some up, remake some...lost 2 in a divorce...variety is the spice of life.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 AM

My youngest daughter(27 yrs old) claims they are all hers, and her brother and sister can have any unsewn fabric. In the event of my death she plans on taking the quilts from the house before she notifies anyone I am gone....lol I better start splitting them up now.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:17 AM

I have a trunk full of finished bed size quilts. There is one on my bed, one thrown over the sofa a smaller, a white on white as a cover over the antique trunk holding the quilts, one over a wing chair that the cat clawed. Others are handy to cover up with if it is chilly etc. I have given away dozens and I make simple ones, at least 20 a month for Linus. I don't count the ones I handquilted for others as I don't have to store them. Before the longarmers took over the market I handquilted quite a few for other people. That way I got to do my favorite part without having to store them afterward. I probably made and gave quilts to my grandchildren when they were small. The youngest is now 15 so I guess I could start making ones for their future homes.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 AM

#1 Charity
#2 Family as gifts
#3 Best friends as gifts
#4 Myself

In that order.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 AM

Baby quilts I've given away for years, honestly have no idea how many I've done. Special people in my life occasionally are gifted a bed sized quilt with specific instructions they are to sleep under it (!) use it up, etc. I have done quilts for home and I should be doing those right now. I am far from being the best quilter in the world, but I don't think anyone enjoys it as much as I do. Happy sewing today and always!!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 AM

Most of my quilts are gifts and made with the specific recipient in mind. I have a few lap quilts made from scraps and extra blocks that I've kept, but not one specifically made for me! I keep thinking I will get started on one, already have the pattern and colors picked out....just no time to start. Someday I will have time, fabrics and ambition.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:14 AM

I have gifted most of mine. But I do have some for my beds. I work on them an who ever say can I have it ,or I love that gets it. All kids ,grandkids an greatgrandkids have 2or3 at least .an friends get them also. joyce j
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Banned

Gifts, self, and to sell at Quilter's Pantry. I've also had them on display and for sale at a local establishment, my web site and Etsy.
I have longarmed some for charity and customers. Love doing that as I don't have to keep them or piece them. Some of them are far better than I piece!
I have yet to make one just for ME. I made one for my DH that is on our bed. My kids are still waiting for bed size quilts from me. The grandkids have one each. Newest grandson due in October will have two already when he is born!
lol
I make wall hangings as gifts and have several of them on my walls. Also table runners cover my dinning room table for each season.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
I
Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 AM

I am still working on quilts for all my grandchildren and now and then I make one or two that are "not designated" but will most likely go to charity. I don't plan to keep more than I can use. I have been to too many estate sales that have the 1970's quilts that are for sale very cheap! The family didn't want them and the style had changed. Someone can enjoy my work...even if it ends up on the ground for a homeless person.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 AM

I either gift my quilts or put the tops in storage for grandchildren when they get married. They can then choose a top and I will get it quilted. Easier to store tops than finished quilts.