Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do that's "against the rules"? >

What do you do that's "against the rules"?

What do you do that's "against the rules"?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 AM

I probably break lots of "rules" every time I sit down to make something but I never pay them any attention...I just go with what works best for me.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 AM

I keep the door locked when I quilt so no quilt police can come inside my house....lol
Old 10-14-2011, 03:48 AM

In my house we have a saying when you are losing the game change the rules until you are winning. ROFLOL Actually do not apply to actual games but when it comes to quilting or any other sewing project there are no rules so there are none to break.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

The only rule I follow is the 1/4 inch seam. Other then that I do my own thing. I am self taught and happy.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 AM
tmg

My rules are the only rules I follow. There are no rules!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 AM

ROFL! I've been sewing since I was 8 or 9? Got my first very own sewing machine when I was 13! SINGER! Loved that machine! Started quilting in Jr high so shortly after getting my own machine so I've been quilting for almost 40 yrs! When I first started I sat with a neighbor lady (70'ish) who only did everything by hand, no machine that wasn't quilting! 12-16 stitches per inch you were considered a seasoned hand quilter! Oh & they should be evenly spaced & appear the same on front & back! LOL Then in school our home-ec teacher expanded on quilting. She did machine piecing but only hand quilting! Loved that, the process went so much faster! I was taught to press to the dark side in one direction, only 1/4 each seams, there were no scant 1/4 inch! Unheard of! Then over the yrs we grew and so did technology and all the fancy tools! When I started it was 4 colors of thread, white, ivory, black & gray thats it, needles, straight pins, you used a wooden ruler, a pair of sissors, metal thimble, two sided razor blade that you taped one side to use as a seam ripper, white chalk & a lead pencil, then on another pencil you wrapped string around to make your own compass, that was it! Over the yrs I learned there isnt a rule out there that cant be broke, in otherwords there are no rules only stiff collars that dont want to bend! ROFL
Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

WHAT???THERE'S RULES???
Old 10-14-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
As far as I am aware; there are no rules (smile). If there are, I have probably broken them all at one time or another!!
Me too!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
There are no rules in my book, I say do whatever floats your boat
AMEN!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
Do you have any quilting methods that are technically "against the quilting rules" that work for you? Anything from how you piece, applique, baste, bind, quilt, etc.

I machine-bind...or at least I plan to. I don't pre-wash.
The beauty of quilting as opposed to apparel or home dec sewing is that you can make your own rules. I guess that is the main reason I stopped sewing wedding gowns etc. As they say rules are made to be broken. Since we fired the quilt police, who needs rules :?: :!: :lol: