Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do with the Triangles Cut From Folded Corner Blocks? >

What Do You Do with the Triangles Cut From Folded Corner Blocks?

What Do You Do with the Triangles Cut From Folded Corner Blocks?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 AM

I sew them together and use them on the back of my quilt around the top and bottom. It makes the back even more interesting.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 AM

I think Kitty has a great idea for them. Just hope she does not become so attached that they are slewen all over your quilting room when she leaves the box. Just my luck.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 AM

Love the photo. The cutie knows just what to do. I would say just a little more in the box & she would have a nice bed.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 AM

I think the cat has the right idea. And she's so cute in there!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 AM

At a quilt retreat I attended last spring one lady had made bear paw blocks and used her HST's that she had cut off. They worked out great for those blocks. You could also make pinwheel blocks out of them. I have a bunch I need to start using also.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 AM

I struggle with this all the time. Basically, I use the cut pieces as leaders. Then on a day or evening when I am super bored, I square them up into sizes that I can store in a baggie, taking them out as I need them to make patches. Sometimes, I just toss them and weep......I only have so many hours in a day.....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 AM

That cat!!! I busted out laughing - I also have a calico - and an identical plastic box I got at the $1 store - - and yep, she insists even though she isn't a kitten any more, she can still fit!!!!!!!

Marysewfun
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM

I always save mine - I sew them together at the same time as I make the original block. If I want to conserve material on the back, I make blocks with them and place them off-center on the backing for the quilt. It's a great way to use up any leftover fabric too. I figured if I did this with each quilt, then eventually my stash would become more manageable because I wouldn't be adding to it with each quilt. Yeah, right .... Really, if there is any fabric smaller than a fat quarter, I use it up on the back. I also purchased a book called "Adventures with Leaders and Enders" by Bonnie K. Hunt and it uses 1.5, 2 and 2.5 inch blocks to make quilts - I have made several from her book. I started collecting fabric, cut in those sizes by going through my stash and anything that was small enough (smaller than a fat quarter) got cut up. Boy, was I glad I did it when I did. Last year, I fell and broke my right arm. When I was able to begin using it again (after three months in a sling), I started making nine patches from the 1.5" blocks. I made 300 of them for one of the quilts in her book. It will be 106 x 106, is almost assembled (just sewing rows together) and all I had to purchase for the front was the connecting block material.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 AM

I sew mine before cutting off the block just as Margecam52 reply #6 and w7sue reply #38 do. Fabric is too expensive to throw away. I have been given sacks full of tiny and larger triangles by LQS's. They don't take the time to sew them together so I have to do that. It is surprising how many blocks or quilts one can make from the LQS's leftovers or my own. The end result is equally as useful a quilt as one that you purchase all the fabric to coordinate.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 AM

I use them for starter & enders when making my blocks. It really saves on thread. You don't have the strings to cut off at the end & beginning of each block. Then I make star blocks out of them also using as a starter & ender. Some of the star blocks are only 5" after complete & some larger. Depending on the size of the HST. I don't toss any size scrap out.