Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you don't know what to do?

I check out pics and posts here. That usually inspires me.

thequilterslink...thank you for your insightful words. If the flowers weren't calling before, they surely are now whenever I am reminded of your reply. You sound like a very caring person and the quilting board is fortunate to have you read/respond to its members. Thanks again!

Personally, I"m taking a break. Not on the board much the past couple of months. Only sewing the things I need to get done, like a project for another lady I feel obligated to finish, plus finishing the round robin tops. (Sorry, my group, I"m really late). I just don't have the sewing spirit right now. I've located a wonderful quilt book that I'm waiting excitedly to come, but I"m letting life just happen now. I've had an enexpected trip out of town on business, plus a death in the family, so I just can't get my mind wrapped around a new project right now. Perhaps when summer yard work is under control better, I"ll sew. But I feel that taking a break is healthy.

Blog Entries
    Take the break.
    Before you know it, there will three projects crying to be done with a too-tight deadline.

SaraSewing, I'm sorry about your loss. What is the name of the book you're looking forward to receiving? I'm sending good thoughts your way ;)

I take my box of scraps and start stitching fabric together to make new fabric which can later be used for purses, etc. I also use up old (but not dead) spools of thread in this process. or I stitch strips of selvedge to a muslin backing...etc.

I go sit on my back deck and meditate. Have a good talk with the Maker and sit and rest with nothing on my mind. Usually works really well to get me going again no matter what the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    I go sit on my back deck and meditate. Have a good talk with the Maker and sit and rest with nothing on my mind. Usually works really well to get me going again no matter what the problem.
    Right. Sometimes you just can't force things...I have been sewing steadily for at least a couple of years and now I find that I am running low on UFOs...nothing new coming up...So I just keep handquilting on the one quilt I have sandwiched and will sandwich the one remaining top in a couple of weeks and start working on it. By then I may have an inkling as to what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by eightylady
    SaraSewing, I'm sorry about your loss. What is the name of the book you're looking forward to receiving? I'm sending good thoughts your way ;)
    It's called scrap quilts by Judy Martin. It has a couple of fantastic patterns in it that I've drooled over. (Especially "Star of the Orient") Once I get the book, paw through the stash on a hot evening (the stash is in the cool basement), I'll be ready to jump in after the summer work is done.

When in doubt, do nothing---------make a purse!
    ----------------practice quilting a block------------------
    ----------------design a new block or quilt----------------
    ----------------have a banana split------------------------
    ----------------run some errands---------------------------
    ----------------organize your stash---------------------------

I google it if I don't know what to do.. Or look for patterns

Banned
    You go to Batesville, Ar to Marshall Dry Goods and stay at Pinewood Cabins (with jacuzzi) for a few days and you'll come back motivated........or wanting to go right back! :lol:

Blog Entries
    I haven't quilted in a week because #1 I don't have a project that I'm really interested in and #2 my room is such a mess that I need to organize the clutter before I can start something. Today is the start of a new week and the organization has to come first. Maybe by the end of the week I'm be back at the sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    That's when I start going thru my stash to straighten it all out. By the time I get to the bottom of the first plastic container, I notice this little pile growing next to me of fabrics. Or, go theu your patterns and organize them.. Something always jumps out to get me going. Good Luck! A new bag for vacation or 4th of July maybe.
    Me too. I hit that point last week and started going through my stash, patterns and the internet. I found a pattern for something (not a quilt) and started on it and it's almost finished so maybe you need to change gears for awhile! Worked for me!

Try cooking or baking. When you are finished, put it in the freezer. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Clean your refrigerator.
    OMG! Now that would get me right back into the sewing room in no time flat! :lol:

When this happens I need to do a few things to "cleanse the pallet". One is reorganize my sewing room. Then I do a few small projects , potholders are my favorite , small fast. But I try a new technique that I have been meaning to give a try on the potholder. If they turn out ... I have some nice small gifts. If they don't Oh well ... they don't take up much room in the trash.

I go "shopping" through my quilting magazines and books. Usually something will hit me>

Put together a quick cuddle quilt for charity It always gets me going to do something for someone else.

Go sit down, have a cup of coffee, read a book or watch a sexy movie. You'll get tired of that and go back to quilting. I always do.

Quote Originally Posted by eightylady
    Anyone, have you ever "hit a blank wall"? Not interested in taking on another quilt at the moment...want to make blocks of flowers, but why? don't want to finish pillows, already started? no fabric seems to go together...yet I buy more with no idea in mind how to use it? Help, cause I need something to work on...
    That is when I start flipping through old magazines and quilting books for new ideas. It always reminds me of the quilts I said "I wanted to make when I had the time". Then you start sketching; then going through your stash, and then you always have to go to the lqs for some more fabrics .......

I say if you want to make flower blocks, then make them. So what if you don't know what they will be for just now. Quilting is for fun and relaxation so do what seems fun. A use for them will come along when the time is right. Hugggs and smilessssss!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    I go for a UFO, never run out of those LOL
    amen ! always a UFO stack. but I also like to bring out the strip box and start several foundation blocks. these are such a good g0-to when you just "need" to sew but can't get settled.
    smitty

If you have a computer with Internet access, try the following website:
    http://www.quilterstv.com/
    They have hundreds of free videos with a wide variety of techniques and ideas.
    The other thing I do is take my watercolor paint box and paper outside and begin painting. I am not very good but it does inspire me to work on small quilt projects.
    Take a walk and clear the cobwebs. Celebrate being alive. Make a charity quilt. Better yet give all the materials you do not like to a new quilter and share your wisdom.

Power Poster
    Yea. Sounds like me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast