Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do when you fall out of love with the material you picked? >

What do you do when you fall out of love with the material you picked?

What do you do when you fall out of love with the material you picked?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Finish it, get it done and out of the way. You may like it enough to keep or gift it. Either way you'll have it done and over with.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:30 PM

All of these suggestion sound good. Put it away for a while and then finish it and if you still don't like it gift it.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
I'd put it aside for a while. I have a shelf in my closet for just such pieces. After they age for a couple years you get them out and "oh my--I think I will finish that one". If it gets rejected a few times, I bring it to our guild silent auction. Thats where we actually sell our projects we tire of. A bargain (usually) for the buyer and we recoup part of our costs.
Yes, thats exactly what I would do.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:39 PM

I can honestly say this has never happened to me so far. Of course, I haven't made very many quilts either. LOL. I'd like to remind you all of wildlinda's home for unloved UFO's and ugly quilts. All unloved projects are welcome to live here, regardless of level of completion or status of ugliness. I promise unconditional love for all quilting cotton's, UFO's and ugly's. The door is always open and the light's on in the sewing room. Smilessssssss and hugsssss.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:09 AM

Finish it and then quilt it and you will see the difference. Then, there is always a choice of giving it away and then you will hear how great it is. The receiving person will love it.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:20 AM

Here's a suggestion for your unloved quilt:
Quilts for Wounded Soldiers In Combat Hospitals

These quilts are shipped directly to Combat Hospitals in Iraq and Afghanistan for critically wounded soldiers. They are transported from combat areas on converted cargo planes which have minimal heat. We want to give them handmade quilts for warmth and to show them we care. The quilts are also used as part of patient care in the Intensive Care Units. The colorful soft quilts are a stark contrast to their surroundings, and are a meaningful gift to show our gratitude for their sacrifices.

Quilt Guidelines were suggested by the medical community from Combat Hospitals.
Size: 4' x 6' (48" x 78") to fit stretchers and gurneys)
Materials: 100% Cotton fabric and batting, small blend (80/20) acceptable.
Design suggestion: (optional Patriotic colors/ theme), generic for all branches of service, for men and women.
Quilting: machine quilting and hand quilting acceptable.
Optional: Pillowcase (20" x 30") coordinating fabric adds a special touch and package for a quilt.

Please help give a special gift to our injured troops when they need it most. if you have any questions email: [email protected]

FYI: If you make a quilt top... go to quilts of valor and look for a longarmer to quilt it for a soldier.
http://www.qovf.org/req-longarmer.html

* Some soldiers also suffer from emotional trauma and may not want a patriotic themed quilt.
*Some soldiers are women and prefer a femine quilt.

http://www.qovf.org/content/videos.html scroll down to interviews and listen to one or two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZpGY68N-Fw Pillow case Tutorial
cargo plane photo’s: Pic’s worth a thousand words.
http://www.genmitchell.afrc.af.mil/s...-0639B-003.jpg
http://www.172aw.ang.af.mil/shared/m...F-1104T-03.JPG
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-134001.doc (30.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 AM

Pack it away in your stash. In a couple of years you'll rediscover it and wonder "my goodness, when did I get this and why haven't I sused it?!?!?! It'll look great in a ........." Story of my life:>)
Janet
Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 AM

Divorce it!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Old man- New quilter
Divorce it!!!!
HA! HA! HA! Thats cute!! :mrgreen:
Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 PM

This is what I did to our churches a few years ago. I asked the ladies groups for all their unused/unfinished projects and unwanted fabric to distribute to people here where these things are expensive. So, mostly I got kits of crewel embroidery, cross stitch and various things--and some truly ugly fabric (and some wonderful stuff).

Anyway, I think it helped the ladies who could unload their stuff and I was able to distribute a very large amount of it. Also, I finished up every single double knit (yuck) quilt top that was sent me and believe it or not, they have all been chosen by ladies who want them. I did make them into comforters and not quilts, though.

So, if you do finish your quilt top and don't want it, give it to someone who does want it and they can finish it and use it. Or you can try to sell it on Ebay or here on the thread of the sale items. Of course, you could donate it, either finished or unfinished (making sure it is wanted, of course).

But you could put it away for a year now, first, and see if the break will help. A king or queen is a big quilt. I put my "The North" Cathedral Windows quilt away for 2.5 years because I was tired of it and it was such a big task. When I took it out this year, I finished it in a couple of weeks because I admired how beautiful it was. I'm so tickled with it now.