Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with your creations? >

what do you do with your creations?

what do you do with your creations?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

First I would see from your children and DGKs what their response is to receiving quilts. You can try donating or even making small place settings or to your local family shelters and animal shelters. I don't take on commissioned quilts. I would not sell mine but yours might be better. I just like doing it. though haven't done much lately.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

How rude of me! BTW Welcome to the board!!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:23 PM

At age 75, I started quilting. Since then, I have made almost 200 quilts. Yes, for me, it is a very expensive hobby because I work on quilting every spare minute. I have never had a problem with giving away quilts. I make them for my daughters, my granddaughter, my grand sons, the foster children, relatives, my sister, my friends, my grand children's friends, etc. People seem to love getting one of my quilts and I so enjoy making and giving them away.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:34 PM

First, if you sell your quilts, you absolutely must account for your time; it is just as valuable as any of the supplies you need to make a quilt.

I wouldn't worry about what to do with the quilts you make if you're hesitant to give them away or donate them. Oftentimes, the joy is in creating it.

My quilts are scattered around the house, hung on walls, thrown over sofa backs, folded and ready on the recliner for nap time. We love living among them even if they don't exactly match the rest of the decor.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:18 PM
ro
Banned

i belong to a few homemakers groups and/or quilting groups. i have only been quilting a few years. and i have all the quilts i need, for now. i've given to family members who i thought would "APPRECIATE" one. my greatest enjoyment is giving to a local hospital, senior center, home for unwed mothers, displaced families, rehab center. i cant worry about 'is the nurse going to take the quilts instead of giving them to patints', or whats going to happen to the quilt once i give it away. when i give away the quilt, i'm done. no looking back. no wondering who has it. did they keep it. someone has it. they are enjoying it. and i enjoyed making it and giving it away. i agree with someone above that said contact a guild, they will tell you where to send the quilt you made, or better yet maybe someone in the guild can come by and pickup a quilt. good luck! and enjoy.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:51 PM

I too live in a rural area and don't; belong to any guild. This year I made another lap quilt for our maillady, and a table runner, not quilted for out postmaster.
I am currently working on a small lap quilt to be given to our volunteer Fire Dept. I hope to make them a few this year hoping they never need to use them.
also 4 ppl I know are expecting so heres hoping I get it all done.
Welcome to the board. We are so glad you joined us.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

These sites list multiple charitable organizations that accept quilts.
http://www.quiltersworld.com/makeadifference.php

http://quiltville.com/charityorg.shtml

http://www.quilterscache.com/Q/quiltcharities.html

And here is one with many free patterns for charitable quilts.

http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/Qu...ltPatterns.htm

You are to be commended for your desire to pass on your hard work to others this way! Welcome to the Quilting Board, aka the QB, you'll enjoy it here.

Jan in VA
Old 12-30-2014, 04:06 AM

If you're lucky enough to sew whenever you want, you may exhaust gifting to your family and friends... unfortunately, I work full time and dream of the day I will get to spend more time with my Janome. Therefore, I have not even begun to cover the list of quilts I hope to make for my family and friends and the wonderful feeling of "gifting" is why I quilt.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:13 AM

I give some to my family, donate some to the local NICU, donate to my quilting guild's bazaar each year, make small gifts for my neighbors, and keep some for myself. You can get together with other quilters and do a Christmas Bazaar to sell some but you won't make much selling quilts unless you are a "famous" quilter.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 AM

I watched a piece on the news last night about the extreme cold and the homeless shelters. I think I need to make some of my charity quilts for them. A lot of people need warmth and a nice quilt, no matter the size, is a warm hug.....