Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your finished quilts? >

What do you do with your finished quilts?

What do you do with your finished quilts?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:57 AM

Welcome aboard! There are many answers to your questions. Personally, I love to mix it up. I make full sized, lap, and baby quilts. I love wall hangings. I do table runners, mug rugs, tote bags, and cosmetic bags. I keep some, but most are made with a specific recipient in mind. I have a ton of patterns, and I use them, but many are my own creation, or my take on something I've seen somewhere. I often change, or adjust a pattern to suit my style, or design. There are no quilting rules, or quilt police. The beauty come in that you can do what you want!

You will find this board to be incredibly informative and welcoming. Its members freely offer support and advice. You will be amazed at the talent you will see here.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:56 AM

Welcome from Indiana!...what do we do with our quilts??....well...when my Grandmother passed I really would have loved to have one of her quilts, but all were left to an aunt, and then to her daughter after that, so I'm trying to give one to any of the young'uns that would like one. I've made one for all my children and grandchildren...and TRY to keep up with the babies as they arrive, but there's a gap when it comes to the great grandchildren. I have one made for all the grand children but they aren't all quilted. I can keep up with the great great grandies, but there are quite a few great grandies that don't have a quilt. Since I don't know who really wants one, and who could care less, my solution is to make what I like and sort of stockpile them...then when I'm gone my daughter can give them out as she sees fit...or as requested. Meanwhile, if I want to make a special one I do. Although I've made many charity quilts I'm not doing that so much any more but I do make throws and wall hangings...as the mood strikes. By the way...forty six years after my Grandmother passed I did receive a set of her quilt blocks that I made into my very first quilt...and that's what got me hooked on quilting!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:58 AM

Welcome from Northeast PA. I have been sewing since I was 12 and quilting since my kids were little in the early 1980's. I find I am much more motivated to complete projects when the recipient is not me! I make several baby quilts a year according to what colors and themes the parents are going with. That keeps me hopping! I have made several larger quilts for my sons and their families. This may be the year my hubby and I get some lounging quilts-maybe flannel! I've also gotten into making quilted totes as gifts.
Congrats on your retirement-you will love it!

Last edited by Nesie; 07-25-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 AM

I have a short attention span and get bored easily, so I stick to baby-quilt-size and make one for each pregnant coworker. I also make slightly larger (not by much) quilts/wall hangings to donate to the local humane society's annual fundraiser. Haven't made one for my bed and probably never will.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:38 AM

Welcome from Texas!
I've been quilting since 2001 (not counting the one & only quilt I made in 1964) & mostly make quilts for gifts (baby quilts, wedding quilts, housewarming quilts, etc.) I have 3 that I have kept for myself which are all lap size. We are a very small family with one daughter & son-in-law. We have no grandchildren, no nieces/nephews, no cousins. My daughter has 3 quilts that I've made her. I do a lot of charity blocks and make other small items such as table runners, bags, pillow cases, etc. I'm working on a king size quilt for my bed but may not even put batting in it so as to keep the weight down. It may finish up to be more of a pieced spread instead of a quilt. I've never made a quilt for competition.
I hope you enjoy your new found hobby. You will get lots of help from some very qualified quilters on this board. We love pictures & would really enjoy seeing what you are working on.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:59 AM

My family has ask for all mine and I have given them all away except one lap quilt I made just for me. I am ready to start two one for my DD and one for her MIL for Christmas then I hope to do some bed quilts just for myself.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:50 AM

I use some but I give most of them away (except the wallhangings). Right now I have quilt tops waiting for quilting and then passing them on!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:07 PM

So far I have only given a few away. At one time I had my own pattern business and made my own samples, so have bunches of those to finish up as quilts mostly I do smaller pieces. I have made one queen size, handapplique, hand quilted and gave away as a wedding gift. One year I wanted to improve my free motion quilting so made each of my cousins a wall hanging with their initial. All were only about 24” sq. Competition yes. But it took about 11 years for me to go for it. Not that my work wasn’t good enough I just had no desire till then. All in all enjoy yourself an do what you want. Happy quilting
Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM

Hi and Welcome from North Carolina! I make baby and children's quilts now to give to Crisis Pregnancy Centers. In the past I have made 10 or 12 full size ones; 2 for me, 4 or 5 for my daughter, one for my son and the rest for gifts. I made a bunch of lap size ones, a few for my daughter and the rest for various gifts. None of my quilts would ever see a quilt show or a wall! They are simply utilitarian; to be used hard and much, until they are thread-worn!

I love them and I love to quilt them! I'm addicted to fabric and have far more than I'll ever be able to use, but I have a very hard time passing any on. A hoarder, maybe, but I've taken a pledge not to buy another inch and I haven't since 12/30/17.

Welcome to your new quilting experience. You've come to a great place for encouragement and help.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Mine are all over the place. Living room, bedroom, walls. I love to make little wall hangings. Plus I give quite a few away.