Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your finished quilts? >

What do you do with your finished quilts?

What do you do with your finished quilts?

Old 07-26-2018, 04:57 AM

Welcome to the board from Illinois. I’ve never made a wall hanging and never will. I have made many purses and a few totes, many lap and baby quilts and about two dozen double/queen/king quilts. I’ve only kept a few. I’ve given about three dozen quilts away to Project Linus and to various veteran hospitals. I suggest you make something you like, no matter what size it is. I personally find that most patterns in magazines are not a size I like and if I can enlarge it by adding more blocks, then I do it. Open your mind to all the possibilities in quilting and then do it. The one thing I would caution you about is buying too much fabric and tons of rulers. Keeping a large stash is not fun.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:14 AM

I have no problem finding homes for them. I've got a family reunion coming up and plan on hauling about 40 quilts with me.

Once in a great while I make a quilt for a specific purpose or person, but most of the time I make what appeals to me at the time.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I have made hundreds of quilts. I have sold 3, the rest I have given to family and extended family or have donated to charity. My favorite thing to do is make quilts for the NICU from orphan blocks or bandanas.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:35 AM

Welcome to the board!
I make baby quilts for all of the girls at work who are expecting. That keeps me busy as we have a young crowd.
I do a lot of wall hangings and I usually give them away although I tend to keep the competition ones and display them.
The bed sized quilts which are usually for spare rooms or large walls in my home. I don't do a lot of those, lately.
I'm running out of wall space rapidly.

Watson
Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 AM

Most of my quilts are made with someone in mind. I did make a couple stain glass wallhangings only because I wanted to try it. Got them finished just yesterday and decided to give them to 2 gals staying with me for the week from D.C. They gladly took them off my hands. The wallhangings just didn't fit in my decor or colors. If I have leftovers or lots of scraps from a quilt I make I might try making an oversized lap for myself. Made one to go over the stuffed chair in the library from one set of scraps, made a sofa table runner from the scraps leftover from the oversized lap I made for the backside of the sofa to keep my cat's claws from ruining the fabric. Sometimes I'll make table runners or placemats with the scraps and give them to the recipent of the quilt. But mainly my quilts have a recipent in mind before I even start.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:23 AM

Welcome to quilting but be aware that it is addictive. I make quite a few baby quilts for my large family but I also make quilts for my grandchildren when they graduate from high school and of course quilts for their weddings. I have made quilts for my children and my house if full of quilts that I use as table cloths, table runners, full size quilts and smaller quilts hang on the walls. I have 3 quilts for every bed in my house and I have so much fabric I still want to use. I am currently collecting all of my scraps for scrap quilts. Good luck and enjoy whatever you make. I found it handy to say "no" when people outside my family ask me to make them quilts because I can't keep up with my own family. I suggest you learn to say "no" also because there is nothing worse than working on a quilt when you don't like the pattern or the colors.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:31 AM

Most of the time, I make my quilts with a specific person and/or destination in mind. On other occasions, I stockpile finished wall hangings, runners, baby quilts to have for gifting.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 PM

Welcome from Arizona. I have made lots of quilts. I give away most of them, some to family, a lot to charity. My guild is very active with Linus and we make many quilts for them. I also have them all over my house. I have pretty much given up on the large quilts unless one of my family members needs one. I will shortly start one for my 13 year old grandson. A friend is making me a hangar which will hold four folded quilts. I can't wait to get it up.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 PM

I have done every size from mug rug to over-sized queen (probably would work on a king with a thin mattress). I favor the smaller sizes because I quilt all of them myself on a home sewing machine or embroidery machine. I make baby quilts and other small ones for Project Linus now and then, and have made small lap quilts for use with wheelchairs, particularly when I was a guild member before our move. I have made a number of quilts to be used as couch throws, and those can vary in size quite a bit. If you're just starting out, smaller quilts are nifty because you get done and can get on with the next one, which can be entirely different and introduce you to some new skills. I made my first quilts many years ago and felt a little put out by the fact that we live in a warm climate without much real demand for quilts, or so I thought, but actually there is no limit to what you can do with this hobby. Just recently I've become more interested in art quilts and in quilted bags. I have a long bucket list and just keep going. I hope you'll get as much enjoyment from this hobby as I have. Welcome to the Quilting Board!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:37 AM

I have made some art quilts for my wall in my sewing room. I have made baby quilts for friends and relatives. Some quilts are made start to finish with a recipient in mind. Other quilts are made in a class or as a challenge in my quilt guild. I have kept quilts for myself and others are kept for safe keeping so when the right time comes along, I can gift a quilt to someone in need.