Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your finished quilts? >

What do you do with your finished quilts?

What do you do with your finished quilts?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I started quilting in 1966-1967. I made several for my kids,grands and three Great grands. I have made 6or8 for our Double bed and planning on making a couple more. I have donated many,many quilts and plan on donating lots and lots more. Everyone that wants one has several. I have about three grands that really don't like them and a granddaughter in law that loves them and has at least a dozen, all throw to bed size. I have 15 or more waiting to find someone that needs a quilt. I gave my neighbor man one last winter.

Welcome from Missouri.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 PM

I have one on each couch - then I have 3 others on quilt racks that I can switch out with the ones on the couches if I want to. My son adopted one while he was at school. Honestly most of mine are gifted... baby showers, wedding gifts, donations to my church for raffles and of course Quilts for Kids donated to hospitals.

I have sold a few, but generally no one wants to pay what a quilt should actually cost
Old 07-25-2018, 05:06 PM

I've made 71 quilting projects so far. The majority are quilts, mostly lap size, however I've made eight bed-sized quilts also. One wall hanging, three Christmas tree skirts, several table runners and placemats. Of the 71, I've given 49 away; eleven are ready to be given away to family or friends as the opportunity arises; and eleven are for my husband or myself.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 PM

Most of my quilts are donated to kids with cancer or other diseases, 2 quilts a year go to our local Humane Society as fundraisers, 1 quilt a year is donated to a small local church as a fundraiser, once in a while I do a commission quilt, those are usually bed size, the others usually aren't.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:34 PM

All of the above. Some tops I have given to our charity group. Some are wall hangings or table toppers. Some are bed quilts. I also like to make bags and pillows.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:56 AM

I make all of my quilts to give away. Most of them are large throw size at least 60 X 70, some larger because of the blocks I choose. I also make about 5 or 6 baby quilts per year that are about 40X40. These usually are for close friends or family members. Love these "little quilts"!

It is my family tradition to make each new addition a baby quilt and I am just about to start making quilts for the those same babies when they graduate from high school. So my quilt gifting will be expanding soon. About 18 years ago I was given my sister-in-laws stash and I knew that I would be making quilts for pleasure and to express my creativity but they would be given away. As woman who is guided by her faith, I believe from time to time I hear a small voice in my heart and mind to give quilts to those in need of a hug, a blessing or who just need the warmth of a quilt.

Quilts are for gifting or charity.
Quilt size is guided by the pattern of the finished blocks.
Yes, I will often adjust the size to make it more useful or match what is in my stash. (Not everyone wants a bed sized quilt.)

Enjoy, you quilting journey. It is grand!

Last edited by WMUTeach; 07-26-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! I hope you find quilting as enjoyable as I do. I make quilts for my family mostly. I usually make bed size but occasionally a wall hanging or a table runner. I don't have any grandchildren yet but am already collecting fabrics for baby quilts I just finished a King for our bed but will send that out for quilting as it's bigger than I can handle. I started quilting awhile ago and used to hand quilt only but now I'm learning how to machine quilt. There is an endless array of techniques out there. Have fun!!
Old 07-26-2018, 03:57 AM

I make all sizes and gift as I am moved to. Sometimes it just hits me that "hey, that person needs a quilt". They may be going thru tough times, an illness or whatever. I have about 25 stockpiled so am ready if the need pops up. Make for grandchildren as they grow, use some myself or display them. Just like having them and looking at them. There is just something about the warm, fuzzy feeling a quilt gives me. Enjoy your quilting journey.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

I also have loads of quilts throughout my house. I love them!
Old 07-26-2018, 04:29 AM

I make all sizes and types. Some I donate when I hear of a need. My mother was a quilter and I have sewn since I was 4. Mom lived for 95 years and all but the last 2 were fun and busy. Those last 2 years were pretty sad as she had dementia and needed 24 hour care. I made her door decorations, quilts for her bed and lap quilts. Since she has been gone I now make quilts for the elderly where she lived. So many are left without any visitors.. I guess their family members think they don’t know but I think they do. I also make and donate quilts for children and churches. That is my “good works”. I give to my family (kids, grandkids and my great grandson) and I have them all over my home, in closets, stacked on beds, racks,etc. I love to make small ones for table tops and baskets.

warning: making quilts becomes an obsession and so is shopping for fabric! Lol