Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your quilts?

lue
    I have friends in my quilt guild who have large stores of quilts; some give them to their children and some hold onto them. I'm wondering what you do with your quilts if you're not a professional quilter. I tend to make mine with someone in mind (making 1 high school and 1 college graduation now & made a wedding quilt last month for my granddaughter). After spending so much time with them it's difficult for me to give them away. What do you do with yours?

klc
    Same for me. I usually have someone in mind that I am making them for. And when I am done it is very hard to part with them. I have very few at home. Most go to my children and grandchildren.

Blog Entries
    Mine have all been made with someone in mind - as gifts to family/friends, or for doll quilt swaps here on QB.

Blog Entries
    They are always given away as gifts. I don't have a single one that I have ever made. . .

Blog Entries
    Mine all go to Family. I agree, it is hard to let go of them, but everyone that I give one to, knows how much work and pleasure that goes into one, so they are all dearly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Usually have someone in mind...until recently...planning on peicing several for quick gifts.

I'm only on my third quilt but they've all gone out the door thus far. I really hope to work on one for ME soon! :P

Banned
    I give them away! But thankfully, I have a huge family (8 siblings, 20 nieces/nephews), so I've got plenty of people to give quilts to.

I usually have someone in mind or a special occassion that I am stitching a quilt for gift-giving. I do have a couple of quilts for my own King sized bed and am now working on a couple of smaller quilts for the rec room. For the first time ever in my quilting life (as a result of our guild's Finish Your Pig Challenge) I actually have some quilts finished with no immediate owner. My nephew would like a new blue quilt but the ones in my finished pile both have green borders. I guess I need to finish another P.I.G!

All of mine are made with a recipient in mind. Sometimes that changes before I'm done, for whatever reason, but they all have an intended home. One that I started as a baby gift for a particular person I ended up doing a different one because she did not want pink. That one is now going to one of my daughter's friends who is expecting in October.

Blog Entries
    The ones that I make are for gifts, except for some of the minis. Those and the antique quilts that come in my door belong to ME...

The miniature quilts are used with my doll displays, and the antique quilts are displayed on quilt rack or two.

Love to collect tiny and old things!

I have kept some for use here at home and of course one for my little dog,but all the others I give away. I usually have someone in mind as I work on a quilt.

Blog Entries
    i gift them, i donate them to various organizations-programs, fund raisers- i sell them-
    they go out the door as fast as i can make them- i'm always behind on special orders and requests...i do think i have 4 or 5 that actually (live here) with no plans on leaving home---yet at least :)
    last year i did make my sister a quilt that i fell in love with and really really wanted to keep it- in fact i said to my hubby===i can just make her a different one- i want to keep this one---but he said- yes it is an awesome quilt- but you made it for her- you need to give it to her---if you want one You can make another one...
    shucks---i'll probably never get around to making another one like it...
    nope i get rid of them ---- fast

we use them.

I usually make them for someone in mind, but have kept several. I like to have a seasonal quilt out. So when it is football season, the Charger quilt is out, same at Halloween and Christmas.

Blog Entries
    I also usually make them for someone special in mind.

The ones that I don't give away or make especially for someone, I hang on quilt racks in my house. I have four of them at the moment, but need more. I want to find a single wooden ladder to prop against the wall to hang some on. I saw an "apple tree" ladder, wide at the bottom and narrower at the top which would be nice to have. Most quilts that I make tho, are for someone in mind.

Banned
    I custom design most of my quilts. I have no idea where they're headed when I create them. Once they're done, they seem to have their own voice and let me know where they're going. Some go to family, some I sell, many go to charity. I love to give my quilts away, but only when I've matched the right recipient to the quilt!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I make mine because I *have* to see how those colors work together or how that block works next to another different block, or how a pattern would look with a pieced border.

Sometimes I make them as gifts or on request, but usually just for the art of it.

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    I usually have someone in mind and the ones that stay home seem to end up under the cat. lol

Never have time to quilt for myself, but need to get something for my bed. All are gifts.

That's probably why I have lots of tops, waiting to be quilts, lol. I don't have to get rid of them if they aren't finished, right, lol! Seriously though, if my quilt has a place to go, then I finish it! Otherwise, I put one on the frame & quilt it, when I feel like it. That works for me. Once I quilt one, I usually am in the mood to do another, so I get several done. Then go back to piecing, or whatever. My quilts stay with me till the right opportunity presents itself. I wish I had more company, so they could tell me they absolutely love one, then I could send it home with them, or, gift it to them later, lol... I don't mind sharing them, just want to make sure they go to someone who will love them & use them, & not just stick them away somewhere, & forget about them...

I make them for me or family. At some point, I will have to quit quilting due to vision damage and I want to be sure we all have plenty of quilts to last.

I've given all the larger ones away. I still have some lap quilts that were practice quilts when I first got my LA, but family and friends usually end up with the others. I keep saying that I need to keep a few for myself, but then an "occasion" arises and out the door it goes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    They are always given away as gifts. I don't have a single one that I have ever made. . .
    Same here, but currently I am working on the AOTH Cybersew here on the QB and that quilt will be ALL MINE!!!! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast