Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps? >

What do you do with your scraps?

What do you do with your scraps?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by quiltmouse
could you elaborate?
My strips are all different lengths. I sew the strips that are ~ the same length roughly until I have ~13" wide strip set. If my strips are not ~12.5-13" long, I only make 10.5-11" wide strip sets.
I do something like this for my smaller strip sets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239798[/ATTACH]

These are my 3 main piles of sets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239799[/ATTACH]

when I trim the 4.5 set, I save the cut off pieces to be used again for the next set of strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239800[/ATTACH]

This where I try to get as many 12.5 squares from a strip set
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239808[/ATTACH]

and then the 4.5 and 2-2.5 strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239809[/ATTACH]

this is the scrappy pin wheel type block I was trying to explain. I haven't finished sewing it yet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]239810[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239792.jpe   attachment-239793.jpe   attachment-239794.jpe   attachment-239802.jpe   attachment-239803.jpe  

attachment-239804.jpe  
Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 PM

BJ, I do similar to what you do. When my scrap bin is full, I put on an audiobook and cut, cut, cut until the audiobook is done. Just like you, I have pre-determined sizes that I cut everything into. I finally learned that there was no point in saving this scrap fabric forever when it could be used. There will always be more scrap fabrics. :)

When I housesit for my sister (something I will be starting tomorrow), I take one of the boxes of precuts with me and sew, sew, sew.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

DH uses the scraps and makes "new" fabric for me by paper piecing/ string quilting on adding machine paper. I got one small tub with scraps that he sews from. It is the only quilting he does. He is a wood worker but often around 9 pm he will come sit with me in my studio and do his paper piecing on adding machine paper.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56940-1.htm

Here is the tute we got the idea from.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 AM
tmg

I am cutting mine up into 2 1/2" squares. To make a scrappy quilt.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:30 AM

Mostly what I have been doing for years, 1.5 inch strips for scrappy log cabins. I host Log Cabin Frenzy, provide the stips and a meal, still does not look like it puts a dent into the strips. They mulitple:)

Also been collecting 4 inch squares and stips, for my charm tumbler quilt.

Originally Posted by dunster
I have been cutting mine into strips and making into log cabin quilts. I find it's a lot easier for me just to think in terms of 1.5" strips, rather than various size blocks, and I love the variety you can get with log cabins.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 AM

Lately I feel that I bring them home from the quilt store in the scrap size. I've been addicted to buying large rolls of matching fat quarters. I usually don't unroll them, just love to look at this basket full of rolled fat quarters until I have the perfect scrappy project. When a manufacturer makes a line I love I want to buy at least a little because they do not make them again. I guess I'm a collector. Anyhow, most of my stash is scraps and I buy what fabric I need to make a project work.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have a tall plastic tote for my scraps and when it gets full, I find a scrap pattern and use some of it. My goal to empty the bin has failed miserably - it seems that the scraps multiply overnight. DH suggested to leave the light on so they don't do anything naughty. lol
What a hoot! I hadn't thought of leaving the lights on...mine are double duty naughty. They multiply by leaps and bounds. I love scrap quilts and my favorite block is the Dresden Plate so that pattern lends itself to using up my scraps but I still have alot and will NEVER turn down a bag of scraps from my quilty friends who DO NOT like scraps. I agree with another board member, "Never throw fabric away...that's just too awful to think about."

Hooray to the person who uses hers for animal shelter blankets. They are always in need of these small creature comforts for the animals.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
if you do not have use for your scraps-instead of sending to a land fill you should ALWAYS pass them on- plenty of people in need- who would/could put them to great use...
the local senior center- the local quilt guild doing charitable projects, the public schools art departments, scouts and 4-H ers,
plus probably a few hundred right here on the board who would be willing to pay you postage for them- never throw them away- that is just too sad to even think about
Thanks for stating this. I know my grandkids elementary school is always after leftover scraps yarn buttons beads. With all their cuts they are really in need now.
Dawn
Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 AM

Most of my quilts are scrappy, so scraps aren't a problem for me. I toss anything under 2" unless working on strings blocks.Always watching for more patterns to use up those scraps.

Originally Posted by bjmartin
I hate to throw away any fabric. I keep a large container under my sewing table where I put my scraps when cutting out a quilt. When It starts getting full I sit up my iron and cutting board and as I watch tv I cut everything I can into 6 1/2 inch blks, then I go back through and cut what I can at 4 1/2, then 2 1/2 then I use what is left for string piecing. (I don't like 5 1/2 blocks I like even nujmbeers). I love scrappy quilts so this works fine for me. Great to cut down on number of blocks and use 2 1/2 etc blocks instead of sashing. Puts a lot of color in a quilt.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bjmartin
I hate to throw away any fabric. I keep a large container under my sewing table where I put my scraps when cutting out a quilt. When It starts getting full I sit up my iron and cutting board and as I watch tv I cut everything I can into 6 1/2 inch blks, then I go back through and cut what I can at 4 1/2, then 2 1/2 then I use what is left for string piecing. (I don't like 5 1/2 blocks I like even nujmbeers). I love scrappy quilts so this works fine for me. Great to cut down on number of blocks and use 2 1/2 etc blocks instead of sashing. Puts a lot of color in a quilt.
I do this too plus any strips 1" or larger go into another bin to make strip scrappy quilts.