Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your small strips or pieces of batting? >

What do you do with your small strips or pieces of batting?

What do you do with your small strips or pieces of batting?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 AM

Because I can never ever let myself throw anything away that I think I might be able to us------I save them. Today for instance, I am using those cut off strips for the batting in some pot handle holders. Most of the strips I saved were just the right width. I have also used those strips for the batting in straps for totes etc. Honestly, there is always a use for most things.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I also reuse the strips of leftover batting for anything that I can. I too use the tricot interfacing to join them to save money. It works great and it is easy to cut using a rotary blade and mat.
I make belts, dog leashes and collars, wallets, purses and makeup bags, kitchen appliance covers, hot pads, placemats, mug rugs, christmas ornaments, hanger dust covers for my clothes closet and many other small projects. I figure I paid for that batting too and I am not going to waste any that is re-claimable. I always watch for a pattern that I can make that is small and cute or functional that would help me use them up.

Oh I separate them out into sizes into the original batting bags and label the bags so I know which is which. I have three recycle bags now that is needing to be used up. One long strips, one baby/lap sized and one dark batting scraps.

Our local animal shelter only want you to use toweling inside. They don't want the animals swallowing the batting when they chew on the beds.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-09-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Nice tip about cleaning the table with batting. After finishing a project, I put all the scraps of batting into a big tote, then when I have smaller projects, I pull the batting out, then I cut straight edges which I then zig-zag together with a large stitch. I've found it's great for wall hangings, pot holders, etc.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM

I use every scrap of batting. If it is too small to piece it goes into a pillow case size bag that I made out of pillow ticking. Larger scraps get shredded with my hands. I just pull them apart to make them fluffier. My friend always has these pillows for sale at her rummage sale, and they are the first to sell. I've taken several to the food pantry, as some people who need food, need bedding also.

One more thing: someone mentioned lining this pillow ticking with batting so the lumps are felt less. Good idea!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:02 PM

I tend to save them and make pet beds.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Every time I finish a quilt and trim off the excess, I hesitate to throw away the remnants of batting around the edges. I have a box that I throw them in until the time when they become "useful". I have been known to use them in pin cushions, pillows, to practice with; even to use to put around, over or under my garden plants to keep out the weeds or to keep the fruit from touching the ground. I've also used them for small projects. What about you? What do you do wit your small pieces of batting? Oh, I also use a small strip to clean my machine and table. It grabs dust and tiny threads like crazy!
I save them for coasters
Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 PM

I try to save if they are of a good size so I can piece two together to make a large enough piece for a small quilt. I found a lady in the area that makes pet beds and I give them to her with no guilty feelings. I find she gets more and more scraps from me all the time.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 PM

And let us not forget Kaye Wood's six-hour quilt. 5 or 6-in strips are used, but actually any width can be used as it is put together log-cabin style (or is it courthouse steps?) and it's quilt as you go.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 PM

They pack nicely so you can cut them up and make a great Ham.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

The bigger pieces I sew together, I have made several battings like this. I mainly use polyester batting and I hand sew them together with a large zigzag or a ladder stitch. I save long skinny pieces ( 3" or wider) for adding to sides or tops or bottoms when I need a bit larger.
Sometimes a pain but I am able to use them and not store them. Smaller pieces I give to my Daughter for the pillows she makes. Sometimes I just throw the skinny pieces out.