Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your small strips or pieces of batting? >

What do you do with your small strips or pieces of batting?

What do you do with your small strips or pieces of batting?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:37 PM

I use decent size pieces to butt together with the tape that is sold for that...works great. Smaller pieces I use for making purses from some of the Aunties Two patterns...they use strips of batting with a strip of fabric folded around it, makes beautiful bags and a great use of scraps of batting and fabric!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:38 PM

I meant to say that we keep the fabric scraps and the batting separate.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM

I use mine for practicing free motion quilting. Someday, I'll get FMQ and I can put my scraps to another use.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 AM

I give the scraps of fabric to the humane society. Someone there uses them as stuffing for the dogs and cats and makes beds for the pets. They seem to quiet down in their comfortable beds. I even give them larger pieces that i won't be using.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 AM

Cut up in small pieces and use to remove finger nail polish instead of cotton balls.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 AM

I would save the Scraps in a Bag and offer them to the local Senior Center for their Projects which they sell for extra Money for their trips or to use to buy supplies for more projects..- they can always use them to stuff pillows or Toys or Christmas ornaments... Can use bigger scraps to use in smaller projects like Kindle or IPAD or phone covers or Potholders or Mug Rugs or Coasters, My Grandkids like to Glue them down in shapes for Art Projects. Also these Scraps could be offered to The Kindergarten Class at schools, or to Girl Scouts Troops for projects... I wouldn't toss them... also Home School Parents might like a Bag of Scraps or Church Groups.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by mary r View Post
I give the scraps of fabric to the humane society. Someone there uses them as stuffing for the dogs and cats and makes beds for the pets. They seem to quiet down in their comfortable beds. I even give them larger pieces that i won't be using.
Great Idea...
Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 AM

I square mine off after they are cut from a project, measure it and label it and put it in a basket until needed for small projects or added to a piece that is bit short in another project. By the way, I buy yardage of nylon tricot iron-on interfacing and make my own tape for joining batting. Saves lots of money and takes very little time. One yard of the tricot (60 inches wide) cut in 1.5 inch strips will make 40 yards of fusible tape. I wrap the strips around the core from packing tape or duct tape.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:31 AM

usually stitch small pieces together and use for small items ie. potholders ,mug mats,or any other small item.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:31 AM

I save most of them as I make coasters and mini quilts. I took a lot of batting scraps to make draft dodger for my doors. I cut up a quilted table cloth that had seen better days and stuffed the batting in side to tube and tied the ends with the bindings from the table cloth. They are along the bottom of my doors all winter and come spring I throw them in the washer and dryer so they will be ready for next winter