Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you like in a quilt pattern? >

What do you like in a quilt pattern?

What do you like in a quilt pattern?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Pictures pictures pictures. I am really visual - if there isn't a picture of practically every step, I will be worried that I did something wrong. I could probably follow a pattern with all pictures and no words better than a pattern with all words and no pictures.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 PM

1. Have the pattern tested by all skill levels
2. Pictures of several of the finished items. Use the quilts the testers made.
I like to get a feel for how the quilt will look with different color values in different places.
3. Clear concise directions with illustrations/pictures
4. Yardage information for all sizes.
5. A contact number or address if there are any questions or problems.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM

I like cutting directions that minimize scraps. I made a quilt from a pattern this summer that I'll swear was written/ designed by someone who likes creating scraps for her stash as much as anything else. Efficient use of yardage and not having a bunch of leftovers is what I like.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Clear spacing between instructions, particularly on the cutting, so I can check them off as I do them without losing my place - or my sanity.

I have Dyscalculia which is a specific disability in learning or comprehending arithmetic, difficulty in understanding numbers and how to manipulate numbers. Calculating yardage is great fun.......... lol.

Below is an example of the kind of instructions which give me a headache! (This was actually pre-cutting for a class I was going to attend and ended up NOT going to as I made so many mistakes in the cutting I gave up, exhausted and disheartened ).

From your main fabric cut:
8 x 2½” squares2 x 3¼” squares
3 x 5½” squares*
4 x 3¼” squares
2 x 3¼” squares
2 x 2½” squares
12 x 2⅞” squares

From the contrast, cut:
2 x 3¼” squares
2 x 2½” squares
12 x 2⅞” squares

and so it went on.
I agree with you some of the fabric cutting instructions are difficult to understand, and that might be because I am a new quilter. I guess we would need to give her an example of how to make it easier for us to under stand. Which I am not totally sure. But I do know that my first attempt at making a quilt top I threw away because I totally messed up on the cutting and nothing fit right. I honestly believe every instruction should be written as if the person had no clue on how to do a quilt. I usually look for the "beginner" sign on it : ) or something along that line. Have the pattern printed on a tan or beige paper, not white. Have the print large enough for us "old folks". Be sure to include directions on fabric such as you could use fat quarters, or charm square, etc. Have a glossary so that we would know "WOF" = width of fabric. Some of the terminology here on the boards I get very confused about. Test it, with several different levels of experience, in quilting. That honestly will be your best bet, they can give you constructive criticism.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02 View Post
I agree with you some of the fabric cutting instructions are difficult to understand, and that might be because I am a new quilter. I guess we would need to give her an example of how to make it easier for us to under stand. Which I am not totally sure.
I actually have a visual system that I use so I don't mess it up. I'm make sure I use that.

Glad I'm not the only one that has issues with the '5x3" square' instructions. I'm usually sitting there trying to make sure it isn't one 5" by 3" rectangle that they want and not five 3" squares. I used to always assume it was the later, until I ran across and issue in a table runner and was out of the fabric I needed the 5" by 3" square from. I ended up piecing a couple of pieces to make the rectangle I needed, but I am still totally annoyed when I look at the piece.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:15 AM

With patterns that have 1/2 sq triangles or 1/4 sq triangles--the fabric requirements and cutting instructions should include the method that is planned to be used--and maybe even give the measurements for a couple different methods (i.e. one where you are cutting the actual triangle out immediately and another where you are using the methods where you make a larger sq and cut down the middle) I find this really annoying as I have a preferred method and am not "mathy" enough to figure out the fabric requirements otherwise!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 AM

Lots of pictures with instructions, or links to tutes very helpful.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:17 AM

I really appreciate "pressing" directions. Eleanor Burns has this in her patterns, and really helps . I also like directions for various sizes.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:29 AM

I hate it when the directions end by saying Sew your blocks together like the picture on the front and the picture is almost microscopic.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 AM

I agree with Spacific. Clear, simple, consise instructions step by step are very important . Many patterns assume a person will know what they are talking about. Not so ! A good picture instruction is also so helpful. I am a quilter and have quilted for 11 yrs and still have difficulty with some patterns and even some tutorilas skip steps.
Best of luck and God Bless