Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you listen to while you quilt?

I don't. I get distracted. When I listen to music, I get very intense. I can't work and listen at the same time.

Blog Entries
    I love listening to music while I sew but I must confess I also watch TV. If its a complicated pattern I stick with music.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I have tons of music on my iPod, which I listen to while sewing. Classical, Broadway, soft rock, country, Christian - I love lots of different kinds of music and I always have it on when I'm home. I've never listened to audio books - I prefer to have the book in my hand and see the print on the page. But, I'm so impressed that so many of you are listening to books while sewing!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

i am usually streaming something on the laptop. i just finished the bbc series "life on mars" and it was really good.

now i'm watching (sort of half watching while i work) american horror story. i don't think it's all that good, but it'll do

aileen

Sirius Broadway station all the way!

I tune into my favourite music radio station - lots of tunes I know, news flashes and very little talking.

These days I enjoy the beautiful sound of silence....

I love to listen to classical music. We have a radio station here that is specialized on classical music, film music and new classics - perfect for me. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, John Barry, John Williams, Nigel Hess, Patrick Doyle and all the others inspire me a lot with their music!

Dolly Parton for me, or Opera.
    Our car got broken into once. The policeman laughed when I read out the list of CDs that had been taken
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Depends on my mood, opera is a favourite but I wait until my DH is out and turn up the volume. We've recently got Netflix (not as many choices as in the US, but still good), so I watched West Side Story yesterday (needed the Kleenex).
    Annie

Last week I removed the TV. Though my sewing room is big, I didn't find a good place for it. Somehow it was always in my way I listen to some radio stations or audio books with my radio and don't miss the TV.

I love the silence

Blog Entries
    I do better when I listen to music (Pandora for me! I have such a strange mix on there!) but I also use that "me time" to watch a movie that nobody else wants to watch. But I can't watch something that is good, or then my sewing machine doesn't get as much attention! So it's usually a comedy I've already seen or a horror movie!
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    My mother never had a radio or stereo on while she sewed. I think she was just happy to have a silent house while her four children were in school and the habit never changed.

I listen to audiobooks. I have always loved books on tape; now, the MP3 and free audiobooks online from our library has increased availability a hundredfold. I have seriously increased the number of books I read since I can double task while sewing and listen to a book at the same time. I have listened to everything from Charles Dickens to Clive Cussler and everything inbetween.

What do you listen to, if anything, while quilting?
    Audio books from the library mostly. I used to listen to Old Time Radio.

Blog Entries
    I listen to pandora radio on my iPhone I can choose the music to match my mood.

Banned
    I subscribe to MLB in order to get the NY Mets games in Red Sox Nation - so April thru September I usually have a ballgame on in the afternoon. If I'm sewing in the morning I have Morning Joe and Chuck Todd on the TV. If I'm not interested in the teams playing I listen to one of the dozen CDs my son made for me of singers/songs I like.

I like instrumental music playing softly. I tried watching movies while I quilt and I always make mistakes. I haven't tried books on CD's yet.

I listen to Old Time Radio detective & mysteries..Sherlock Holmes, Johnny Dollar, Lux Radio ...etc. And audiobooks. Been listening to the Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs. Her Temperance is a little bit different than the one on the tv show Bones. I gave up trying to compare and just enjoy. =)
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Give me the oldies--musics from the 50's, 60s and maybe the early 70s.

Whatever my husband has on the TV.

I have several sets of classical "solitude" or "meditation" music that I rotate & listen to; it keeps me calm when I have to un-sew and redo! I also like to listen to several CDs I have of hymns that I can sing along with while working. Peace while piecing.

Oldies Oldies Oldies! Frankie Vallie. Beatles. Beach Boys. Pandora Radio is my bestest friend.
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have a TV in my sewing room, but I usually don't turn it on. I have to pay attention to my sewing. If I have the TV on and am listening to it, I have to keep pausing while I'm sewing to listen to the TV. So, I leave it off. I listen to the sewing machine and my own thoughts.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

WOW! Am I ever glad I asked this question. What a wonderful aray of selections! I think I will stick to audiobooks, but I am inspired by the wide array of options available to entertain us during our sewing/quilting hours.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

I enjoy the sounds of silence. My dogs are usually in there with me and we carry on quite interesting conversations, but I enjoy just working quietly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast