Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you look for in a quilt shop >

What do you look for in a quilt shop

What do you look for in a quilt shop

Old 10-26-2011, 07:42 AM

I like there to be enough room to put fabrics together and back away from them to get a better feel of how they will look together.
I hate to have any oders in the room as my DH will never go into the shop and help with the colors groupings (he is a designer and is very helpful at times with this)
And lastly I NEED knowledgeable people who will help guide me.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 AM

Amen to what you have just stated.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 AM

The other day I took a quilt top in to find a backing for it. The majority of the fabric in the quilt had been purchased at that store. I laid the top on the counter to check the size, and the shop employee said, ok, you need about this much for the back. I was sad that she didn't say something like, oh that's cute, or that turned out well - or something! It could have been a sack of potatoes for all she cared. If I worked at a quilt shop I would always try to encourage people when they bring their projects in! (That's why I like this board - you are all so encouraging!)
Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 AM

I gasped and was struck with awe because of one shop. I was vacationing in Wisconsin. In a little town way off the interstate, this shop had a wonderful flow through it. Fabrics grouped by what they were--batiks, flannels---, then by color. It had a high ceiling. Instead of stacking way up, over every type of fabric was a quilt hanging. The quilt was finished, and hanging down just over the top of the third rack of fabric bolts that were used to make the quilt with the pattern marked on the quilt easily readable. Then the pattern was hanging on a rack/turnstyle next to those fabrics.
The staff was very friendly and talked to each costumer as you entered.
Notions were together upfront and not far from the cashier. There was a room for clearance items, that included books as well as fabrics.
Just a very nice store and try to stop each time I am traveling close by---within 100 miles!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 AM

I enjoy kits and I would more than likely purchase one if they have a sample all made up.
I expect the employees to have knowledge about what they are selling.
I expect great customer service and to not be bothered while I am shopping.
I also would hope it was clean and tidy!
I also like sales (who doesn't right?) and classes offered.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
A new quilt shop opened in my town. I get so stressed when I go in there because it's such a mess. I became friendly with the owner and went over on my lunch hour one day and straightened up. It didn't last long. I really would like to see her shop become successful, but if other people feel like I do, I don't see it lasting. She also has fabrics that are 15-20 yrs old. The cardboard bolts they're on are all bent over and torn.

I look for order and cleanliness.

I like it to smell good. I like soft music. SOFT music.

I don't want someone following me around.

I want like things grouped together

I want new fabric

What do you want in a good quilt shop
What you said! Don't know how it stays in business!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM

Friendly, helpful staff. Don't follow me around and keep pointing out what you think I need. My vision for what I'm looking for is in MY mind and I'll know it when I see it. Do SMILE and respond to my questions and inquiry's if I ask and if I bring something I'm working on in to match up with other fabric from your shop, don't stick your nose up at either my work or the fact that I didn't purchase the fabric already pieced from your shop. That's why we have stashes...fabric purchased from all over on a whim to use when the inspiration strikes.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 AM

I like for the employees to be friendly and helpful without being stuck to your every move. I like for it to be well lite so you can see the true colors of the fabric especially when matching colors. I am very drawn to the sell fabrics for my backings especially for give away quilts. If they don't offer some kind of discount section I rarely go back.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

No owner or employee that acts like the quilt police. Knowledge of new quilting tools and methods, internet access for instant product research when something is not known about. No hovering. No owner's husband or boyfriend killing time in the shop telling jokes or making comments to impress the customers. Fair prices for the quality of fabric being sold. Lots of thread variety. I like to see samples of quilts made from patterns hanging in the store. Good lighting is a must. Nothing worse then a poorly lighted drab quilt shop.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM

I want just what I have. Good selection of fabric, long arm quilting available in shop, great location (about 3 minutes from my home) and best of all, a really great friendly owner.

Betty Sue's in Flowery Branch, GA