Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you practice your Free Motion Quilting on?

Blog Entries
    I would check into ordering a new book for the machine. Be sure when you are purchasing a quilting foot that it is for machine quilting and not a 1/4" foot. A good way to practice FMQ is to practice on paper first. It helps the brain remember the motion you are trying to achieve.[/quote]

Wow, I like the paper idea also. only wasting thread (not other consumables).

I got a 1/4 inch foot and darning foot for my little Brother CS4000 at a LQS that handled Brothers. They had both the brand name and generic feet and actually recommended the generic saying that it worked fine and was 1/2 the price. I also downloaded a manual (for free) for my machine from online, before I got my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
    Quote Originally Posted by aneternalpoet
    What is the FMQ that you're talking about? I am new to all the terminology, lol.. and new to the site, too - just a babe in the woods of about a week now here .. loving it though!
    Check the book to see if machine will do first, May only be able to straight, stitch in the ditch,(along the seam), or curved arches, sometimes freemotion looks more like scribbles, (that may be a bad description) has more flow to it. Good Luck and Welcome !! :D
    can go to topics on header and most of the names of things you hear will have topic postings
    I would describe free motion quilting as puzzle quilting - it sort of looks like puzzle pieces but it's continuous.
    Thanks, I knew that didn't sound right , but my minds eye and words didn't connect. :oops: :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Donna - Batiks
    Some one told me to sew the binding on (both sides!) and donate them to the local animal shelter. The dogs don't mind the stitches are perfect! It just gives them a nice place to lay off the cold concrete floors.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Even for the cat cages so they aren't on the metal floors of the cages.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I also practice on my Project LInus quilts. The children who get them never complain. They just snuggle up and hug their blankies. No waste of fabric then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I also practice on my Project LInus quilts. The children who get them never complain. They just snuggle up and hug their blankies. No waste of fabric then.

Thanks, just got a project Linus quilt kit today to practice with.

Also, will start making the animal pads for the local shelter, AFTER I make a few for my cats - they can't seem to stay off any piece I am working on - -LOL

I recently finished a 14 day free motion challenge. I had lots of pieces/samples. And it seems like everyone I know has a cat, so I bound all my practice pieces and now they are nice little cat mats.

http://quilt-knit-run-sew.blogspot.c...en-sewing.html

I just make up a sandwich w/ pieces of the same fabric I used for the front and backing and scrap pieces of batting. Then I can try out different colors of thread , to see which I'll want to use on the quilt. I don't save them in the end - they get thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by threads57
    I am always afraid to free motion on a project that I am working on and ruining it. I am a bit of a perfectionist. My mom taught me to rip it out if it wasn't perfect. I have tried working on just muslin but I could end up with a king size quilt and have nothing to show for it. Last week I made myself a tote bag from a pattern on Moda Bake Shop. I wanted to quilt it free motion. I took out the stitches 2 times. I referenced a book put out my Sulky called Weekend quilting by Sulky. There is a wall hanging in book where they show a different style of quilting in each square. It was like a light bulb moment for me. I tended to look at the large quilt it self and not block by block. I went on to quilt my bag which I visually divided into 4 sections. My bag turned out realy nice and I didn't have long loopy stitched. The book says to sew at a slow to med speed. I put on some music and let it set the rythm. I am ready to start another project.
    You got it girl. :thumbup: I have been practicing on an old winter coat which is the same thickness as a quilt, using different designs and whatever colour is on the machine. Wear this coat when I'm walking the dog. People have been commenting on the continuous change of colour.

I believe the foot you use is a darning foot. The procedure is called stippling. I printed off the directions from some site. I have not tried it yet. I don't dare start quilting until I finish the projects I'm on AND clean house.

Scrappycats

Do you belong to a Guild, or any other community service groups that make "comfort" quilts as a donation? Our guild does, so several of us that are beginners take those home when they and ready to quilt, and practice away!!!!

Blog Entries
    place mats and table runners are good sized for practice pieces, the practice pieces can be made into tote bags or shopping bags. i have zig-zagged some practice pieces together and donated them to the humane society, they use them for 'pet beds' at the shelter. when i use just plain muslin to practice stitching on i then give the little quilts to the granddaughter's they use fabric paints, markers, crayons, what ever they want and color them, and they use them to 'practice' sewing by putting them together (they like to sew pieces together to use for their forts (walls and floors ;) )

Dear scrappycats,
    I'm not sure if this has been suggested to you but when I want to test out a design in FMQ I do it on a rectangle of sandwiched fabrics and batting - 15" by 19". Then I fold it in half (15" x 9 1/2"), trim the top edges with binding, sew up the sides, turn it inside out, add some grosgrain ribbon to the 4 top corners and it is now the perfect tote that can attach to walkers for the seniors of our local assisted living environments. They carry their books, crosswords puzzles, and a few personal items close at hand this way.

You can go on line and see if they will send you information booklet and you probably can order the foot you need too.

I use the leftovers when I have a quilt done by a long-arm quilter. But I also practice on Downy quilts.

cjk
    your machine might be like one of mine and it came with a plastic piece that snaps over the feed dogs.

A lady after my own heart with the scraps for Animal Shelter dogs, I save all my scrap material, thread and whatever doesn't go in my bins, then make dog blankets and stuff them with the scraps, the animal shelters love them and all the ladies from my quilting class do the same...

I practice on Community quilts, those are given away to kids in need. Any quilting and batting scraps are saved for our guild's annual Dog Bed Day. We all get together one day in August and chop up the pieces we've all been collecting. Then we make fabric bags of all sizes and stuff them with the soft fluffy scraps for our local animal shelter.

It's called a darning foot on my Janome. Have you gone online to find the owners manual? It shouldn't be too hard :)
    Just like Newestnana, I too purchased a Brother at Costco. When I wore it out in just 13 months, I bought my Janome 760, and all the feet from the Brother fit it! Yay!

Don't throw them away! Make potholders. I have a couple of whole cloth panels to practice on too!

A teacher and very good FM quilter in our guild took a class in Houston. They told them to use felt. It is cheap and about the right thickness and comes in many colors so you can see the trheads too. I have done this and she is right. However I still can't draw anything. I can't draw anything with a pencil so how can I draw anything with a sewing machine.

I recently started making quilted burping pads and use them to practice free motion quilting. It works great and babies sure don't care how it looks!!

Dkm
    Under new thinking of quilters.....you do not have to drop the feed dogs and you do not have to do anything special for this to work. The foot you need is called a daring foot. It has a spring on it that allows the foot to move smoothly over the fabric. If you can put your motor at half speed this can help. Always sew with needle down. That's just a few tips.

Hi, I am an experienced sewer but find fmq difficult. I finally bit the bullet and attempted to quilt an appliqued penguin quilt that I made for my grandson......It looked very simple! Not. I worked very hard and was not at all pleased with how the quilting looked on the back: I had knots. crooked lines etc. Just terrible (in my estimation) Just before I tossed it in the trash I had a light bulb moment. I saved the day by adding another backing fabric. I pinned wrong sides together and stitched 3 sides, turned it wrong side out, closed the fourth side and topstitched the edge. At least it was neat. It did take a bit of time to make it tight enough but it works. Whew??? I guess the answer is to just keep practicing even on a small quilt and bag it if necessary. Good luck

Sorry..................I meant to say I turned it right side out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast