Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you practice your Free Motion Quilting on? >

What do you practice your Free Motion Quilting on?

What do you practice your Free Motion Quilting on?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I also practice on my Project LInus quilts. The children who get them never complain. They just snuggle up and hug their blankies. No waste of fabric then.

Thanks, just got a project Linus quilt kit today to practice with.

Also, will start making the animal pads for the local shelter, AFTER I make a few for my cats - they can't seem to stay off any piece I am working on - -LOL
Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 PM

I recently finished a 14 day free motion challenge. I had lots of pieces/samples. And it seems like everyone I know has a cat, so I bound all my practice pieces and now they are nice little cat mats.

http://quilt-knit-run-sew.blogspot.c...en-sewing.html
Old 07-10-2010, 02:22 PM

I just make up a sandwich w/ pieces of the same fabric I used for the front and backing and scrap pieces of batting. Then I can try out different colors of thread , to see which I'll want to use on the quilt. I don't save them in the end - they get thrown out.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by threads57
I am always afraid to free motion on a project that I am working on and ruining it. I am a bit of a perfectionist. My mom taught me to rip it out if it wasn't perfect. I have tried working on just muslin but I could end up with a king size quilt and have nothing to show for it. Last week I made myself a tote bag from a pattern on Moda Bake Shop. I wanted to quilt it free motion. I took out the stitches 2 times. I referenced a book put out my Sulky called Weekend quilting by Sulky. There is a wall hanging in book where they show a different style of quilting in each square. It was like a light bulb moment for me. I tended to look at the large quilt it self and not block by block. I went on to quilt my bag which I visually divided into 4 sections. My bag turned out realy nice and I didn't have long loopy stitched. The book says to sew at a slow to med speed. I put on some music and let it set the rythm. I am ready to start another project.
You got it girl. :thumbup: I have been practicing on an old winter coat which is the same thickness as a quilt, using different designs and whatever colour is on the machine. Wear this coat when I'm walking the dog. People have been commenting on the continuous change of colour.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 AM

I believe the foot you use is a darning foot. The procedure is called stippling. I printed off the directions from some site. I have not tried it yet. I don't dare start quilting until I finish the projects I'm on AND clean house.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 AM

Scrappycats

Do you belong to a Guild, or any other community service groups that make "comfort" quilts as a donation? Our guild does, so several of us that are beginners take those home when they and ready to quilt, and practice away!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

place mats and table runners are good sized for practice pieces, the practice pieces can be made into tote bags or shopping bags. i have zig-zagged some practice pieces together and donated them to the humane society, they use them for 'pet beds' at the shelter. when i use just plain muslin to practice stitching on i then give the little quilts to the granddaughter's they use fabric paints, markers, crayons, what ever they want and color them, and they use them to 'practice' sewing by putting them together (they like to sew pieces together to use for their forts (walls and floors ;) )
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM

Dear scrappycats,
I'm not sure if this has been suggested to you but when I want to test out a design in FMQ I do it on a rectangle of sandwiched fabrics and batting - 15" by 19". Then I fold it in half (15" x 9 1/2"), trim the top edges with binding, sew up the sides, turn it inside out, add some grosgrain ribbon to the 4 top corners and it is now the perfect tote that can attach to walkers for the seniors of our local assisted living environments. They carry their books, crosswords puzzles, and a few personal items close at hand this way.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM

You can go on line and see if they will send you information booklet and you probably can order the foot you need too.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM

I use the leftovers when I have a quilt done by a long-arm quilter. But I also practice on Downy quilts.