Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you recommend for an Embroidery Machine???

I am looking to buy an Embroidery machine only...I do not need it to get one that also sews seams as I have another machine to do that in case my MC6500 brakes down. I do not want to spend a lot of money either - fixed income
    I prefer to get something used, but then I wonder WHY are they getting rid of the machine!

I just love this board and all of the lovely lady's & gents that contribute to this site, I have learned so much!

I have two embroidery machines. Both were pretty costly (burnia and a Pfaff. When you buy one even a used one, go to a good dealer and have them show you the machine. Most dealers give free classes also. If I was going to buy a cheap one I would look at a brother. Alot of time an used one is just raded in for a larger machine that does more.

Thank you the response Judlou, I appreciate it!

I have a Baby Lock Ellure Plus--love it!

Check the software to make sure the machine will still be supported with the new computer O/S upgrades (Windows Vista and Windows 7). My embroidery software can no longer talk to the computer so my embroidery unit has become obsolete. This is something that catches a lot of people unawares until it is too late.

I have a Janome 11000 and love it!!! I haven't found anything I can't do on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    Check the software to make sure the machine will still be supported with the new computer O/S upgrades (Windows Vista and Windows 7). My embroidery software can no longer talk to the computer so my embroidery unit has become obsolete. This is something that catches a lot of people unawares until it is too late.
    What machine are you talking about? How old is your machine?

Thank you "lab fairy" I would have never thought about the software not working for updates......

Ask me how I know! Frustrating but at least I have the consolation of owning my machine for many years.

Check out the Yahoo group Sew it's for sale...
    They sell a ton of things.
    Personally I wouldn't get a machine that couldn't do a 6X10" or larger hoop.
    I have a Pfaff and a Brother and I think the Brother does a nicer EMB.
    Just my 2 stitches...
    K

It all comes down to money to be honest with you.
    If you are looking to do monogramming only, you will be fine with a 4x4 hoop - those are by far the cheapest. You can get one for under $400 new. If you want to have a 5x7 hoop, you can get one for about $800-1200 (a Brother or Janome, etc) When you go to the 6x10 hoops, the price skyrockets and it usually includes the sewing features as well. Why they don't sell one that is reasonably priced that doesn't include the sewing feature but has the bigger hoops is beyond me.

You have to decide how much money you want to spend first - then start looking. Remember that you will have to spend about $100-200 or so for set up costs - stablizers and threads and whatnot.

I have a Brother 4500d and I love it.
    I had a Janome 350e and loved it but wanted the bigger hoop - so I sold it and bought a Janome MB-4 which I detested... so I got the Brother and I'm happy as a clam now.

Banned
    I have the Janome 350E and I love it. It does everything I want because I bought the customizer and you can use the gigi hoop for larger designs. My sister has the same machine and she loves hers too!

I have had a Janome MC 10000 for the past 9 years and I love it! I have not had one problem in all that time!

Whe I bought a new laptop last year my phaff embroidrey would not work with it until I downloaded different drivers. My Phaff dealer helped me with this.

Things are always changing in the computer world.